Electron and deBroglie wavelength

In summary, an electron with a de Broglie wavelength of 10^-8 cm has an energy of approximately 150.142 eV and a time-independent wavefunction of Ae^(i3.94784x10^21x) + Be^(-i3.94784x10^21x). This was confirmed by solving for energy and using Schroedinger's equation for the wavefunction.
Domnu

Homework Statement

An electron moves in the x direction with the de Broglie wavelength 10^-8 cm.

a) What is the energy of the electron in (eV)?
b) What is the time-independent wavefunction of the electron?

Solution?

a) We have p = h/2pi * k = h/2pi * 2pi / lambda. So, p = h / lambda. Now, we need energy, so we have E = p^2 / 2m = h^2 / lambda ^2 * 1 / 2m = 2.40987e-17 J >> 150.142 eV.

b) By Schroedinger's equation, we have

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} = E \phi[/tex],

so we have that

[tex]\phi = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} = Ae^{i \cdot 3.94784 \cdot 10^{21} \cdot x} + Be^{-i \cdot 3.94784 \cdot 10^{21} \cdot x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question, or simply want the work checked...?

The work checked was what I was looking for =)

Related to Electron and deBroglie wavelength

1. What is an electron's wavelength?

The wavelength of an electron is a measure of its wave-like properties and is directly related to its energy and momentum. It is often represented by the Greek letter lambda (λ) and is typically measured in nanometers (nm).

2. How is the deBroglie wavelength calculated?

The deBroglie wavelength of an electron is calculated by dividing Planck's constant (h) by the electron's momentum (p). The equation is: λ = h/p. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the electron's kinetic energy (K) by using the equation: λ = h/√(2mK), where m is the mass of the electron.

3. What is the significance of the electron's deBroglie wavelength?

The deBroglie wavelength is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of electrons. It shows that electrons not only behave like particles but also exhibit wave-like properties, similar to light.

4. Can the deBroglie wavelength of an electron be observed?

Yes, the deBroglie wavelength of an electron can be observed in certain experiments, such as electron diffraction. In this experiment, a beam of electrons is directed at a crystal, and the resulting diffraction pattern is used to determine the wavelength of the electrons.

5. How does the deBroglie wavelength relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The deBroglie wavelength is one of the factors that contribute to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The smaller the wavelength, the more accurately the position of the electron can be known, but this also increases the uncertainty in its momentum, and vice versa.