Electron affinity and electron gain enthelpy

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between electron gain enthalpy and electron affinity, which both describe the tendency for atoms to gain electrons. While some sources may define them as the same thing, others clarify that electron affinity refers to energy differences while electron gain enthalpy refers to enthalpy changes. The conversation concludes with the clarification that although there is a small numerical difference between the two, they are not the same.
Zatman
Hello,

I was wondering if someone might be able to explain these terms. Specifically, the difference between them. From what I have read they seem to describe the same thing, i.e. the enthalpy change involved in:

X(g) + e- → X-(g)

I am sure there is a difference that I am just not understanding. Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have never run before into the term electron gain enthalpy, but electron affinity refers really to the energy (not enthalpy) difference between an atom and an ion (+electron) in vacuum.

Hmm. Well I've read the following which confused me:

"The tendency for atoms of neutral elements to gain electrons is measured by the electron affinity. This is numerically equal to the negative of the electron gain enthalpy, which is the enthalpy change when a gas-phase atom gains an electron."

[Foundations of Inorganic Chemistry, MJ Winter and JE Andrew, p8]

So...what's the mystery? It's something that these guys are defining as the negative of the EA.

Right, confusion gone. Thanks guys!

Related to Electron affinity and electron gain enthelpy

1. What is electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an atom gains an electron, while electron gain enthalpy is the change in enthalpy when an atom gains an electron. Both measure the ability of an atom to attract and hold onto an electron.

2. How are electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy related?

Electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy are closely related, with electron affinity being a more general term that refers to the energy released during the process, and electron gain enthalpy being a more specific term that takes into account the enthalpy change as well.

3. What factors affect electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy?

The factors that affect electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy include the nuclear charge, the distance between the nucleus and the electron, and the electron configuration of the atom.

4. How do electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy impact the properties of elements?

The values of electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy can impact the chemical and physical properties of an element. For example, elements with high electron affinity tend to form negative ions more easily, while elements with low electron affinity tend to form positive ions more easily.

5. Why are electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy important in chemical reactions?

Electron affinity and electron gain enthalpy play a crucial role in determining the reactivity of elements and their ability to form chemical bonds. They also help predict the products and energy changes in chemical reactions involving the transfer of electrons.