Electromagnetism problem using Gauss's Law

In summary: So, for a wire of infinite length with a potential V at some distance r from the wire:E= -V/r (this is a vector equation)If you know the current I in the wire you can find the potential V(x) by integrating:V=∫E.dl = -I∫dl/rIf you are still unsure post back with some details of your problem and I'll try to help.In summary, using Gauss's law, the electric field can be calculated for an infinitely long insulating cylinder with radius R and charge density of ρ = 3r^2(nc/m^3). This can be done by constructing a cylindrical Gaussian surface around the cylinder and using the equation \oint \
hagisucks

Homework Statement

Using Gauss's law calculate the electric field everywhere for the infinitely long insulating cylinder of radius R and charge density of rho = 3r^2(nc/m^3). SHOW ALL YOUR WORK INCLUDING DIAGRAMS.

Homework Equations

I am lost.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Well...what is Gauss's Law? Write out. You should have had that in your "relevant eqtn"!

Electric Flux = qin/Eo

In integral form...?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Have you seen this before?

[tex]\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{\sum Q_{en}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

I pretty much drilled this equation into the back of my head...

No. I'll take it the surface integral of E dot dA is equal to flux. I can remember that. I am still confused about how to use that equation to solve this problem.

Well, the cylinder is infinitely long. What is the E-field emitting? what happens if the cylinder is a wire?

Is it emitting charge? I don't know, what happens?

You have a long wire (forget being cylinder for now), what is the E-field? What is the direction?

If it helps, draw a Gaussian Surface over the wire/cylinder.

I have absolutely no idea.

Do you know what Gauss's Law means...? What it states? Don't just direct meback to the formula. What is "dA"?

This was obviously posted a while ago, answering may help others though so:

Begin by constructing a cylindrical Gaussian surface of radius r and length l around the cylinder. Then the electric field outside of the cylinder is, by Gauss's law:

[itex]\oint[/itex]E.da = Q / ε0 where Q is the total ENCLOSED charge.

The da on the left hand side refers to the area that the electric field passes through the Gaussian surface, not of the cylinder itself:

E x 2∏rl = Q/ε0

Now, the Q enclosed is the volume charge density multiplied by the volume in which Q is contained (i.e. the volume of the cylinder):

Q = ρ x ∏R^2 x l (R - the radius of the CYLINDER not the Gaussian surface is used)

Substitute back in:

E x 2∏rl = ρ x ∏ R^2 x l / ε0
E = ρ x R^2 / 2rε0

Then substitute ρ = 3r^2:

E = 3rR^2/2ε0 (outside; r>R)

For inside the enclosed charge has "the same r":

E x 2∏rl = ρl∏r^2 / ε0
E = ρr / 2ε0

Substitute ρ:

E = 3r^3 / 2ε0 (inside; for r < R)

Last edited:
lmcelroy said:
This was obviously posted a while ago, answering may help others though so:

Begin by constructing a cylindrical Gaussian surface of radius r and length l around the cylinder. Then the electric field outside of the cylinder is, by Gauss's law:

[itex]\oint[/itex]E.da = Q / ε0 where Q is the total ENCLOSED charge.

The da on the left hand side refers to the area that the electric field passes through the Gaussian surface, not of the cylinder itself:

E x 2∏rl = Q/ε0

Now, the Q enclosed is the volume charge density multiplied by the volume in which Q is contained (i.e. the volume of the cylinder):

Q = ρ x ∏R^2 x l (R - the radius of the CYLINDER not the Gaussian surface is used)

Substitute back in:

E x 2∏rl = ρ x ∏ R^2 x l / ε0
E = ρ x R^2 / 2rε0

Then substitute ρ = 3r^2:

E = 3rR^2/2ε0 (outside; r>R)

For inside the enclosed charge has "the same r":

E x 2∏rl = ρl∏r^2 / ε0
E = ρr / 2ε0

Substitute ρ:

E = 3r^3 / 2ε0 (inside; for r < R)
May I join the discussion?

Will this line of reasoning apply to calculating (estimating) the electromagnetic field (in Gauss) that one would expect to measure at a given distance from a high voltage power line? Since I would not have the charge available, but may have the voltage and line current, could the field be calculated in Gauss (or Teslas and then multiply by 10^4)? Will you show me the formula?

SteveI46 said:

Will this line of reasoning apply to calculating (estimating) the electromagnetic field (in Gauss) that one would expect to measure at a given distance from a high voltage power line? Since I would not have the charge available, but may have the voltage and line current, could the field be calculated in Gauss (or Teslas and then multiply by 10^4)? Will you show me the formula?

Hello Steve, welcome to PF!
It would be better if you start a new discussion, do you see the date of the last post? :smile:

SteveI46 said:

Yes, the exact same method can be applied. A typical "text-book example" gives an infinitely long wire with a linear charge density λ. Just as with a cylinder a cylindrical Gaussian surface can be used for a wire (a wire in reality is really just a thin cylinder so this makes sense).
For your question however if you have a scalar potential (voltage, V) there is a simple formula connecting this to the E field:

E= -∇V - δA/δt , where A is the vector potential

If ∇xE = 0 (i.e. B field not changing with time) then this reduces to:

E= -∇V

Which in the one dimensional case of a wire can be treated as:

E= -dV/dx

Related to Electromagnetism problem using Gauss's Law

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface.

2. How is Gauss's Law used to solve problems in electromagnetism?

Gauss's Law can be used to find the electric field at a point due to a given charge distribution by simply taking the flux through a surface surrounding the charge and dividing it by the enclosed charge.

3. What are some common applications of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is often used to determine the electric field of a point charge, a line of charge, or a charged plane, as well as more complex charge distributions.

4. Can Gauss's Law be used in all situations involving electromagnetism?

No, Gauss's Law is only applicable in situations where the electric field is constant over a closed surface, and the charge distribution is static.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gauss's Law?

One limitation is that it only applies to static charge distributions. Additionally, it assumes that the electric field is constant over a closed surface, which may not always be the case in more complex situations.