Electromagnetism Problem (conductors, dielectrics)

In summary: Then the flux per unit length will just be the flux over the area of the surface. So, 1 unit long as shown in the figure.In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field, flux, and inductance in a coaxial cable with an inner conductor carrying a steady current. The Ampere law and the proportionality between field and flux are used to find the magnetic field. To find the flux, a flat rectangular surface is selected perpendicular to the magnetic field and the integral is evaluated. The flux per unit length is then used to calculate the inductance.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1508/problemhd.jpg

Homework Equations

The Ampere law: [itex]\oint_C \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{l} = \mu_0 I_{enc}[/itex]

The field and flux is proportional to the current: [itex]\Phi = LI[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)

[itex]\oint_C \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{l} = \vec{B} \oint_C d\hat{l}[/itex]

[itex]= \vec{B} (2 \pi s)= \mu_0 I_{enc}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ \vec{B}= \frac{\mu_0 I_{enc}}{2 \pi s}[/itex]

The magnetic field is 0 for s<a. So for the space between the conductors do I have to evaluate this between a<s<b?

[itex]\therefore \ \vec{B}= \frac{\mu_0 I_{enc}}{2 \pi b-2 \pi a}[/itex]

Is this correct?

(b) The magnetic flux produced by the current in the conductor in the middle is

[itex]\Phi = \int B.dA = B(2 \pi a h)[/itex]

Here 2πah is the surface area. So how can we evaluate this if we do not know h (height)? :confused:

(c) [itex]\Phi = LI \implies L = \frac{\Phi}{I} = \frac{B(2 \pi r h)}{I}[/itex]

Is this the correct approach?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)

[itex]\oint_C \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{l} = \vec{B} \oint_C d\hat{l}[/itex]

[itex]= \vec{B} (2 \pi s)= \mu_0 I_{enc}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ \vec{B}= \frac{\mu_0 I_{enc}}{2 \pi s}[/itex]
Hi, roam. That looks fine.

The magnetic field is 0 for s<a.
The magnetic field for s<a would depend on how the current is distributed in the inner conductor. But, apparently they don't want you to worry about that in this problem.

So for the space between the conductors do I have to evaluate this between a<s<b?

[itex]\therefore \ \vec{B}= \frac{\mu_0 I_{enc}}{2 \pi b-2 \pi a}[/itex]

Is this correct?

I don't understand this at all. The symbol B stands for the value of the magnetic field at a point of space.

(b) The magnetic flux produced by the current in the conductor in the middle is

[itex]\Phi = \int B.dA = B(2 \pi a h)[/itex]

Here 2πah is the surface area. So how can we evaluate this if we do not know h (height)? :confused:

You'll need to think about the direction of B and construct an area perpendicular to B and find the flux through that area. When you integrate over the area you won't be able to pull B out of the integral since it is not a constant over the area. Also, note that the question asks for the flux per unit length of the cable.

(c) [itex]\Phi = LI \implies L = \frac{\Phi}{I} = \frac{B(2 \pi r h)}{I}[/itex]

Is this the correct approach?

Yes, it's the correct approach. But you'll need to find the correct expression for the flux.

TSny said:
You'll need to think about the direction of B and construct an area perpendicular to B and find the flux through that area. When you integrate over the area you won't be able to pull B out of the integral since it is not a constant over the area. Also, note that the question asks for the flux per unit length of the cable.

Hi,

Thank you for your input. So, the magnetic field is due to the inner conductor in the center carrying I. The direction of B is that it circles around the central wire anti-clockwise (using the right hand rule for instance). We would have:

[itex]\int B.da =\int \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi s}.da[/itex]

So I'm a bit confused, do I now pull everything out of the integral except s? Also, why is B not constant? Isn't the central wire carrying a steady current?

roam said:
Thank you for your input. So, the magnetic field is due to the inner conductor in the center carrying I. The direction of B is that it circles around the central wire anti-clockwise (using the right hand rule for instance). We would have:

[itex]\int B.da =\int \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi s}.da[/itex]
That looks good.
So I'm a bit confused, do I now pull everything out of the integral except s? Also, why is B not constant? Isn't the central wire carrying a steady current?

Are you clear on the meaning of the symbol s? Have you selected the surface over which you are integrating to find the flux? You'll need to choose a flat rectangular area that extends from the inner to outer conductor and that's oriented perpendicular to B as shown in the attached figure. s is not constant over this surface. Since B contains s, B is not constant over the surface.

Since you want the flux per unit length, you can take the length of the surface that is parallel to the current to be 1 unit long.

Attachments

• coax.jpg
    coax.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 349

Yes, your approach for part (a) is correct. You need to evaluate the magnetic field between the conductors for s>a and s<b.

For part (b), you can use the fact that the magnetic field is constant within the conductor and use the equation B = μ0I/2πr to find the magnetic flux. Then you can use the equation for magnetic flux through a surface, Φ = BA, where A is the surface area, to find the height h.

For part (c), your approach is correct. Just make sure to use the correct value for the magnetic flux Φ that you found in part (b).

Related to Electromagnetism Problem (conductors, dielectrics)

1. What is the difference between a conductor and a dielectric in terms of electromagnetism?

A conductor is a material that allows electric charges to flow through it easily, while a dielectric is a material that does not allow electric charges to flow through it. In terms of electromagnetism, this means that conductors can easily conduct electricity and are used to create circuits, while dielectrics are used as insulators to prevent the flow of electricity.

2. How does the presence of conductors and dielectrics affect the behavior of electric fields?

The presence of conductors and dielectrics can significantly alter the behavior of electric fields. Conductors can affect electric fields by creating regions of high and low charge density, while dielectrics can affect electric fields by polarizing the charges within them. Both conductors and dielectrics can also shield or redirect electric fields, depending on their shape and placement.

3. What is the difference between a perfect conductor and a perfect dielectric?

A perfect conductor is a material that has zero resistance and thus allows for the perfect flow of electric charges. A perfect dielectric, on the other hand, is a material that has infinite resistance and does not allow for the flow of electric charges. In reality, it is impossible to have a perfect conductor or dielectric, but certain materials can come close to these ideal properties.

4. How does the concept of capacitance relate to conductors and dielectrics?

Capacitance is a measure of how much electric charge a conductor or dielectric can store. Conductors have a larger capacitance compared to dielectrics, as they allow for the easy flow of electric charges. Dielectrics, on the other hand, have a smaller capacitance as they do not allow for the flow of electric charges. Capacitance is an important concept in understanding the behavior of circuits and electric fields.

5. Can conductors and dielectrics ever be used together in a circuit or system?

Yes, conductors and dielectrics are often used together in circuits and systems. In fact, capacitors, which are important components in many electronic devices, are made up of both conductors (in the form of plates) and dielectrics (in the form of an insulating material between the plates). This combination allows for the storage of electric charge and is essential for the functioning of many electronic devices.