Electromagnetism: Possible Trick Question?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two small conducting spheres with known charges, and the force between them when placed at a certain distance apart or when brought into contact and then separated again. The use of Coulomb's Law is suggested to calculate the force, but there is also a consideration of potential charge transfer when the spheres are in contact due to their conductivity.
Xyius
The nature of this problem seems like it is elementary E&M, but it is in my graduate electromagnetism class so I didn't know the proper section to post it.

Homework Statement

Two small conducting spheres have charges of 2x10^-9 C and -0.4x10^-9 C.

a.) When they are placed 4 cm apart what is the force between them?
b.) If they are brought into contact, and then separated by 4 cm, what is the force between them? [Note: Indicate attractive or repulsive force.]

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law I assume.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that you should treat these small spheres as point charges and simply use coulombs law to find the force. The tricky part is, how would bringing them together and then separating them change the force between them if they are the same distance apart?

The only thing I can think of is that for part A, you simply calculate the electrostatic force between the spheres, treating them as point charges. For part B I am thinking that the force between them might be zero because you would have to be pulling them apart with an equal an opposite force to keep them from coming into contact with each other. Does this seem too abstract? I can't imagine the answer to B being the same as the answer to A unless its a trick question!

Physics news on Phys.org
When they touch charge will be transferred (the spheres are conducting)

technician said:
When they touch charge will be transferred (the spheres are conducting)

Excellent point! I knew there was something to this problem..

Thanks!

Related to Electromagnetism: Possible Trick Question?

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electrically charged particles interact with each other and how magnetic fields are created.

2. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two separate phenomena, but they are closely related. Electricity is a form of energy produced by the movement of charged particles, while magnetism is a force that causes certain materials to attract or repel each other.

3. What is the role of electromagnetism in everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It is used in various technologies such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It also enables the transmission and reception of radio and television signals, as well as the functioning of electronic devices like computers and smartphones.

4. Can electromagnetism be seen or felt?

Electromagnetism cannot be seen or felt directly, but its effects can be observed. For example, we can see the movement of an electric current through a wire or feel the force of a magnet pulling or pushing on another magnet or a piece of metal.

5. Is electromagnetism a trick question?

No, electromagnetism is not a trick question. It is a well-established scientific concept that has been studied and used for centuries. However, it can be a tricky topic to understand, especially for those who are not familiar with physics or have misconceptions about it.