Electromagnetism II - Potential and Electrical Field of a Spherical Shell

In summary, the potential at a point P, a distance r from the centre of the sphere, is given by: V = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_S \frac{\sigma dS}{R} where σ is the surface charge density, dS is the distance between points on the sphere, cos(theta) is the angle between the direction of the electric field and the direction of the surface charge, and R is the radius of the sphere.
Asrai

Homework Statement

Consider a thin spherical shell having surface charge density σ, and radius a as shown in the diagram (see attachment).

Find, by integration over the sphere, the potential at a point P, a distance r fromthe centre of the sphere, for r > a. Using this result also find the electric filed at the same point. Hence verify that for points outside the sphere the charge acts as if it were all concentrated at the centre of the shell.

NB: Do not use Gauss' Law in answering this question!

(Hint: consider the spherical shell to be built up from infinitesimal rings of charge, centred on their axis of symmetry through OP):

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that calculating the electric field first might be easier, as we've done roughly the same problem with only one ring of charge; this gave the result E = (Q*r)/((4*Pi*Epsilon)*(a^2+r^2)^1.5).

What I've done so far for the above problem is to set the surface charge density as Q/4*Pi*a^2.

The electric field as I've written it down so far is:

dE = (2*σ*dS*cos(theta))/(4*Pi*Epsilon*(a^2+r^2)).

I've simplified this equation quite a bit, writing it as a surface integral, pulling the constants out of the integral, etc. until I ended up with this:

E = Q/(8*Pi^2*Epsilon)*integral((r*dS)/(a^2*(a^2+r^2)^0.5)).

Now, what I want to know is whether I'm on the right path at all, or if I've missed out something; also, if this is correct, how do I set up the surface integral? There's two parts to it, and one is obviously the rings and their radius going from 0 to a, but what's the other bit?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• emII.jpg
    emII.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you starting with electric field? For a general surface charge distribution the potential is given by:

[tex] V = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_S \frac{\sigma dS}{R}[/tex]

The electric field is then the negative gradient of the potential.

Okay, I suppose I can do it this way too. However, this does not solve my problem in setting up dS properly; I'm a bit stuck there. One bit should be the changing radius of all the circles going from 0 to a, but what's the other one?

Well its fairly easy to work out. The radius of the rings changes with [tex] d\phi[/tex] by [tex] a sin(\phi) d\phi[/tex] and the thickness of the rings is [tex]ad\theta[/tex]

Then you need to work out the limits.

For [tex] a sin(\phi) d\phi[/tex] I set the limits as 0 to Pi; for [tex]ad\theta[/tex] I set the limits as 0 to 2*Pi. Integrating this and calculating the potential gives me [tex] V = Q/(8 \pi \epsilon r)[/tex].

Is this correct?

Last edited:
I think you made a slight error it should be 4 pi on the bottom.

Ah, I caught the error, thank you. The electric field should then be E = Q/(4*Pi*Epsilon*r^2), right?

Yes which is exactly the same as for a point charge at the centre of the sphere with the same total charge as the sphere.

EDIT: Just to add, make sure you understand how dS is composed the way it is.

Last edited:
Thank you ever so much, that was really helpful!

Related to Electromagnetism II - Potential and Electrical Field of a Spherical Shell

1. What is the potential of a spherical shell?

The potential of a spherical shell is the scalar value that represents the electrical potential energy per unit charge at any given point on the surface of the shell. It is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the shell and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the shell.

2. How is the potential of a spherical shell calculated?

The potential of a spherical shell can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

3. What is the electric field of a spherical shell?

The electric field of a spherical shell is the vector value that represents the strength and direction of the electric force at any given point on the surface of the shell. It is directly proportional to the charge on the shell and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the shell.

4. How is the electric field of a spherical shell calculated?

The electric field of a spherical shell can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

5. What is the difference between potential and electric field of a spherical shell?

The potential of a spherical shell is a scalar quantity, while the electric field is a vector quantity. The potential represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point, while the electric field represents the strength and direction of the electric force at that point. Additionally, the potential is directly proportional to the distance from the center of the shell, while the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.