Electromagnetics - Plane wave reflections/transmissions

In summary, to determine the narrowest slab length for which 57.14% of power is reflected and the reflected signal has a phase angle of -160.89 degrees, we need to calculate the index of refraction, wavelength, and intrinsic impedance of the slab, and use the reflection coefficient formula and the equation ζ = ζO*ni to solve for the slab length. The resulting length is 0.33 meters.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

A 1 GHz plane wave is free space is normally incident on a finite-width, lossless dielectric slab (relative permeability, uR of 2, relative permittivity, εR of 18, slab of length l).

Determine the narrowest slab length for which 57.14% of power is reflected and the reflected signal has a phase angle of -160.89 degrees with respect to incident signal.

Homework Equations

- ni = sqrt(uRR)
- wavelength = λi = c/(f*ni)
- intrinsic impedance = ζ = ζO*ni

The Attempt at a Solution

- Knowing the dielectric values for air and the slab, I know the index of refraction for air is simply 1. The dielectric exhibits an index of 6.

- I also know the intrinsic impedances of the two dielectrics as well - ζO = 377[Ω], ζSLAB = 125.67[Ω]

-Wavelength of free space is 0.30[m], whereas the wavelength within the slab is 0.05[m].

- I also know that the reflection coefficient is equal to 0.5714.

From these small steps I have completed, I hope I have gotten closer to the answer. Thank you for all help in advance! It is most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified and some additional steps that need to be taken to reach the solution.

Firstly, the index of refraction for a medium is not just determined by the relative permeability and permittivity, but also by the frequency of the incident wave. In this case, the frequency is given as 1 GHz, so we can use the equation ni = sqrt(uR*εR) to find the index of refraction for the slab. This gives us ni = sqrt(2*18) = 4.24.

Next, we need to calculate the wavelength within the slab using the formula λi = c/(f*ni), where c is the speed of light in a vacuum (3x10^8 m/s). This gives us a wavelength of 0.058 meters.

Now, we can calculate the intrinsic impedance of the slab using the equation ζ = ζO*ni, where ζO is the intrinsic impedance of free space (377Ω). This gives us ζSLAB = 1599.48Ω.

To determine the narrowest slab length for which 57.14% of power is reflected and the reflected signal has a phase angle of -160.89 degrees, we need to use the reflection coefficient formula: Γ = (ζSLAB - ζO)/(ζSLAB + ζO). Rearranging this equation, we get ζSLAB = (Γ + 1)/(1 - Γ)*ζO. Substituting the given values for Γ and ζO, we get ζSLAB = 1.4*ζO.

Finally, we can use the equation ζ = ζO*ni to solve for the slab length l, where ζ is the intrinsic impedance of the slab at a particular length l. Substituting the calculated value for ζSLAB, we get 1.4*ζO = ζO*ni*l. Rearranging, we get l = 1.4/ni = 0.33 meters.

Therefore, the narrowest slab length for which 57.14% of power is reflected and the reflected signal has a phase angle of -160.89 degrees is 0.33 meters. I hope this helps. Let me

Related to Electromagnetics - Plane wave reflections/transmissions

What is the difference between plane wave reflections and transmissions?

Plane wave reflections occur when an incident wave hits a boundary and is reflected back into the same medium, while transmissions occur when the incident wave passes through the boundary into a different medium.

How are the electric and magnetic fields related in a plane wave?

In a plane wave, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. This is known as transverse electromagnetic (TEM) wave propagation.

What factors affect the reflection and transmission of plane waves?

The reflection and transmission of plane waves are affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the boundary, and the properties of the media on either side of the boundary, such as their permittivity and permeability.

What happens to the amplitude of a reflected or transmitted plane wave?

The amplitude of a reflected or transmitted plane wave can change depending on the properties of the boundary and the media. It can be either amplified or attenuated, and can also experience phase shifts.

How can plane wave reflections and transmissions be used in practical applications?

Plane wave reflections and transmissions are used in various applications, such as in radio or satellite communication, radar systems, and medical imaging techniques like ultrasound. They can also be used to study the properties of different materials through techniques like reflection and transmission spectroscopy.