Electromagnetics charge distribution

In summary, In problem 1, there are two problems with different scenarios. In problem 1a, the distance between the two charged lines and the point of interest is the same, so the electric field can be calculated using the formula E = 2(150x10^-9)/(2πε4). In problem 1b, the distance to the two charged lines is different, so the electric field must be calculated by adding two electric field vectors with different magnitudes and directions. In problem 2, the total flux crossing all surfaces defining the cylinder section must be equal to the total free charge inside the volume. In problem 2.17, the distance to the line is calculated by finding the minimum distance to any point on
JasonHathaway
[itex][/itex]

Homework Statement

In fact, there are two problems, and I want to know whether my solutions are right or not.

1- Two charged line with density of 15 n c/m along the x and y axes ([itex]x\pm\infty[/itex], [itex]y\pm\infty[/itex]), Find the Electric field at:
(a) (0,0,4)
(b) (0,5,4).

2- A cylinder with radius [itex]\rho=8cm[/itex] and surface charge distribution of [itex]\rho_{s}=5e^{-20|z|} nc/m^{2}[/itex], determine the electrical flux which crosses a part of this cylinder limited by [itex]1<z<5[/itex], [itex]\frac{pi}{6}<\phi<\frac{pi}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]E=\frac{\rho_{l}}{2\pi\epsilon b}[/itex] (Electric field of a uniformly charged line)
[itex]\rho_{s}=\frac{Q}{A}[/itex]
[itex]\psi (Flux)=Q (Charge)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1- (a) For the uniformly charged line, I am only interested in the distance between the line and the point, which is 4.
And because the two line are in the same distance from the point, and they have same density:
[itex]E=2\frac{150×10^{-9}}{2\pi\epsilon 4}=134.8(N/m)[/itex]

(b) The distance is [itex]\sqrt{(4)^{2}+5^{2}}[/itex], and then apply the previous formula?

2- [itex]\int^\frac{\pi}{2}_\frac{\pi}{6} \int^{0.05}_{0.01}=5e^{-20|z|} z dz d\phi[/itex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
problem 2:

first, there is an epsilon missing somewhere.

second, your left integral makes no sense.

Still, you seem to be on the right track. Equate the total free charge in the volume described to the total flux crossing ALL the surfaces defining the cylinder section. There are 5 separate areas to consider.

Special note: fortunately, the problem asks for the flux thru ALL the surfaces defining the cylinder section. At least, that's my interpretation. Lucky for you because otherwise the problem would be a lot more difficult.

I don't see where is that missing epsilon, I built my solution on that [itex]\rho_{s}=\frac{Q}{S}=\frac{dQ}{dS}[/itex], [itex]dQ=\rho_{s}dS[/itex], [itex]Q=\int \rho dS[/itex] , where ds in this case [itex]\rho d\phi dz[/itex]

I made a mistake for the integral, I think it should be [itex]\int^\frac{\pi}{2}_\frac{\pi}{6} \int^{0.05}_{0.01}=5e^{-20|z|} \rho dz d\phi[/itex], where [itex]\rho=8cm=0.08m[/itex], isn't?

Your integral still does not make sense. Every integral needs a differential element in it.

The expression you need is ε∫∫E*dS = Qfree.
Vectors are in bold. The asterisk signifies the vector dot product.

The surface integral is over the closed surface defining the volume; the free charge is that inside that volume.

I think you're mixing D and E up. For D, ∫∫D*dS = Qfree is correct.

OK, but any luck in the first problem?

I've found this problem (in the attachment) with its solution:
RP = (1, 2, 3) − (1,−2, 5) = (0, 4,−2)
Why did it assume that line defined by y=-2 and z=5 have the point (1,-2,5)? why not (0,-2,5)?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 364
Re your problem 1b: the distances to the two lines aren't the same any more. You have to add two E vectors with different magnitudes and different direcetions.

RE problem 2.17: You want the distance to the line, not just to any point on the line.

Can you confirm the following for problem 1b?

According to the following problem:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/cache.php?url=http://i.imgur.com/VBlEM4Z.jpg?1

Rzp=(1,2,3)-(0,0,3)=(1,2,0)

I assumed that the vector (0,0,3) was chosen with respect to the point of the interest, since the z component is 3.

So, depending on that, and returning to our problem:

Ryp=(0,5,4)-(0,5,0)=(0,0,4)

We can see that only z-component is exist, so:
[tex]E=\frac{\ 5 \times 10^{-9}}{2 \pi \epsilon (4)}=22.47_{az} (V/m)[/tex]

Rxp=(0,5,4)-(0,0,0)=(0,5,4)
The distance is [tex]\sqrt{41}[/tex] and unit vector is [itex] \frac{5_{ay}+4_{az}}{\sqrt{41}} [/itex], so:
[tex]E=\frac{\ 5 \times 10^{-9}}{2 \pi \epsilon \sqrt{41}} \times \frac{5_{ay}+4_{az}}{\sqrt{41}} =10.95_{ay}+4.76_{az}(V/m)[/tex]

And for problem 2.17:

How did you know that the x component is 1? I'm told in the problem the line is defined by y=-2 and z=5, why didn't defined it by (0,-2,5) or (x,-2,5)?

Last edited by a moderator:
1b: looks good. Final answer is adding the two.

The new problem you brought in: any point on the line has (z, 0, 0). Distance from 1,2,3 to such a point is √ (1-0)2+(2-0)2 +(3-z)2. The distance to the line is the minimum of that, which is reached for z =3.

2.17: on the line, x can be anything. Distance from 1,2,3 to a point (x,-2,5) on the line is √ (1-x)2+(2-(-2))2 +(3-5)2. Distance to the line is minimum of that, which is for x = 1.

Problem 1b: That's nice. :)

For the new problem and problem 2.17: What I've understood that I can get my desired point on a line depending on the point of interest, which was (1,2,3) in the new problem and hence I've ended up with 3 in the z coordinate of the line.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.

You can also look at it this way: your y=-2, z=5 line runs parallel to the x-axis so a line connecting a point (a,b,c) to the y=-2, z=5 line must have the same x=a value on the y=-2, z=5 line in order to be perpendicular to the y=-2, z=5 line.

Think 2-dimensions: let the line be y=3 and the point be (4,5). The if you draw a line from this point to the line y=3 it's obvious that the perpendicular line must intersect the y=3 line at x=4, right?

So then d^2 = (4 - 4)^2 + (5 - 3)^2 etc. See the same 4's? That's why you have the same 1's in your 3-dimensional problem.

Related to Electromagnetics charge distribution

1. What is electromagnetic charge distribution?

Electromagnetic charge distribution refers to the arrangement and movement of electric charges in a material or space that creates an electromagnetic field.

2. How is electromagnetic charge distribution related to electromagnetism?

Electromagnetic charge distribution is a key concept in electromagnetism, as it describes the behavior of electric charges that create electromagnetic fields. These fields play a crucial role in many phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

3. How does electromagnetic charge distribution affect the behavior of electric and magnetic fields?

The distribution of electric charges in a material or space determines the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields that are created. The movement of these charges also affects the behavior of these fields.

4. What factors can influence electromagnetic charge distribution?

Several factors can influence electromagnetic charge distribution, including the properties of the material, the arrangement of the charges, the presence of other electric or magnetic fields, and the speed and direction of movement of the charges.

5. How is electromagnetic charge distribution studied and measured?

Electromagnetic charge distribution is studied and measured using various techniques, such as Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, and Maxwell's equations. These equations and laws help scientists understand and quantify the behavior of electric charges and fields in different materials and situations.