Electromagnetic Waves Questions

In summary: If the E or B wave is given as cos(kz - wt) the wave travels in the +z direction. If the wave is given as cos(kz + wt) the wave travels in the -z direction. Has nothing to do with the sign or direction of E or B.
whitehorsey
1. In an EM wave traveling west, the B field oscillates vertically and has a frequency of 88.8 kHz and an rms strength of 7.8 * 10^-9 T. Determine the frequency and rms strength of the electric field. What is its direction?

The electric field of an electromagnetic wave is given by Ex=E0 cos(kz + ωt), Ey = Ez = 0. Determine (a) the direction of propagation and (b) the magnitude and direction of B.2. Emax = Bmax*c3. For the first problem, I know how to find rms by using the equation above. What I don't understand is why the frequencies for the electric field and magnetic field are equal and why the direction of the electric field is north-south.

The second question I'm also stuck on how to find the direction. Would it be similar to a traveling wave where if x and vt have the same sign then the wave travels in the decreasing x direction? So in this case it is in the decreasing z direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi whitehorsey! :smile:
whitehorsey said:
What I don't understand is why the frequencies for the electric field and magnetic field are equal and why the direction of the electric field is north-south.

essentially, because they're the same field! (the electromagnetic field)

so you'd obviously expect them to have the same frequency, and slightly less obviously you'd expect them to have the same amplitude (subject to a "scaling" factor, c, which would just be 1 if we used more sensible units! :wink:)

the E and B fields are parts of the same field because they're interchangeable

(a bit like different components of the same force)​

if you change the velocity of the observer, the E and B forces interchange slightly

(a bit like Fxcosθ + Fysinθ)​

but E2 - (cB)2 is constant (an invariant), and so is E.B

for a wave, those constants are both 0, ie for any observer, the amplitudes are the same and the fields are perpendicular :smile:
The second question I'm also stuck on how to find the direction. Would it be similar to a traveling wave where if x and vt have the same sign then the wave travels in the decreasing x direction? So in this case it is in the decreasing z direction?

yes …

to find the direction, change t by a certain amount (choose something convenient like 2π/ω), and ask yourself what else do i have to change to leave the equation the same?

obviously, decrease z ! :wink:

Thanks! ^_^

-z is the direction the wave propagates. How would I be able to tell the direction for the electromagnetic wave?
In this example, E = [itex]\widehat{}i[/itex] E0 cos(kz + ωt) would it be positive x - direction because there is no negative in front like this E = - [itex]\widehat{}i[/itex] E0 cos(kz + ωt) [ This one would be negative x - direction?] ? Or is there a rule?

Last edited:
whitehorsey said:
Thanks! ^_^

-z is the direction the wave propagates. How would I be able to tell the direction for the electromagnetic wave?
In this example, E = [itex]\widehat{}i[/itex] E0 cos(kz + ωt) would it be positive x - direction because there is no negative in front like this E = - [itex]\widehat{}i[/itex] E0 cos(kz + ωt) [ This one would be negative x - direction?] ? Or is there a rule?

If the E or B wave is given as cos(kz - wt) the wave travels in the +z direction. If the wave is given as cos(kz + wt) the wave travels in the -z direction. Has nothing to do with the sign or direction of E or B.

How do we know? Let z = 0 when t = 0 so you're at the peak of the wave. Then, some short time t later, the wave cos(kz - wt) peaks when cos(kz - wt) = 1 or kz - wt = 0 or z = wt/k so the peak has gone in the positive z direction.

If the wave is cos(kz + wt) then at time t the peak is when kz + wt = 0 or z = - wt/k so z is negative & the peak is going in the -z direction.

Same is true for waves of sin(kz - wt) vs. sin(kz + wt) or indeed any function f(kz - wt) vs. f(kz + wt).

Thank You!

Related to Electromagnetic Waves Questions

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. They can travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to propagate.

2. How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves, such as mechanical waves, in that they do not require a medium to travel through. They can also travel at the speed of light and have a wide range of frequencies, from very low (radio waves) to very high (gamma rays).

3. What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several important properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization. They also have the ability to reflect, refract, and diffract, just like other types of waves.

4. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves are used in a variety of ways in everyday life. Some common uses include communication (radio waves), heating food (microwaves), and producing light (visible light). They are also used in medical imaging (X-rays) and in technology such as smartphones and Wi-Fi.

5. Can electromagnetic waves be harmful?

High levels of exposure to certain types of electromagnetic waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can be harmful to living organisms. However, most everyday exposure to electromagnetic waves, such as from radio and cell phone signals, is not harmful to human health.