Electromagnetic Waves Problem -

In summary, the laser beam's electric field amplitude at the focal point is 2.19×10^11 V/m. To find the ratio of this electric field to the electric field that keeps the electron bound to the proton of a hydrogen atom with a radius of 0.053 nm, use the standard electric field equation for a point charge: E=q/(4pi epsilon r^2).
ashkash
A 200 MW laser pulse is focused with a lens to a diameter of 2.0 micrometers.

Part A:
What is the laser beam's electric field amplitude at the focal point?

Part B:
What is the ratio of this electric field to the electric field that keeps the electron bound to the proton of a hydrogen atom? The radius of the electron's orbit is 0.053 nm.

I was able to get Part A correct. I used I = P/A to find the intensity using the power and area and then used E = sqrt( (2* I) / (c * epsilon_0)) to find the amplitude of the electric field and I got a numerical value of 2.19×10^11 V/m.

Part B is where I need help. I tried finding the electric field like I did in part A using the new radius given (0.053 nm) and then divided my answer from part A by this to get the ratio, but this does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the hard part! Part B is much simpler. Use the standard electric field equation for a point charge: E=q/(4pi epsilon r^2)

thanks for the help.

Related to Electromagnetic Waves Problem -

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that is created by the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. They are often referred to as "light" waves and include radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How do electromagnetic waves travel?

Electromagnetic waves travel in a straight line at the speed of light (3 x 10^8 meters per second) through a vacuum. They can also travel through some materials, such as air, water, and glass, but at a slower speed.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in electromagnetic waves?

The wavelength and frequency of electromagnetic waves are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The formula for this relationship is: frequency = speed of light / wavelength.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible electromagnetic waves, from the longest wavelength (radio waves) to the shortest wavelength (gamma rays). It is divided into different regions based on the characteristics and uses of each type of wave.

How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves are used in a variety of ways in everyday life. Some common uses include radio and television broadcasting, communication through cell phones and WiFi, cooking with microwaves, medical imaging with X-rays, and producing light for our eyes to see. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as radar, GPS, and satellite communication.