Electromagnetic Waves in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnetic field that accompanies a time dependent periodic electric field from Faraday's law. The question mentions setting a time independent component of the magnetic field to zero, which can be achieved by not including a constant of integration.
BOAS
Hello,

I am trying to find the magnetic field that accompanies a time dependent periodic electric field from Faraday's law. The question states that we should 'set to zero' a time dependent component of the magnetic field which is not determined by Faraday's law. I don't understand what is meant by this.

1. Homework Statement

Consider the following periodically time-dependent electric field in free space, which describes a certain kind of wave.

##\vec E (r, \theta, \phi, t) = A \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat \phi##, where ##\omega = ck##

(a) Show that, for r > 0, E~ satisfies Gauss’s law with no charge density.
From Faraday’s law, find the magnetic field. Ignore (set to zero) a time dependent part of the B~ -field not determined by Faraday’s law.
(b) Compute the Poynting vector ##\vec S##.
(c) Calculate ##\bar S##, the average of ##\vec S## over a period ##T = 2π/ω ##.
(d) Find the flux of ##S##through a spherical surface of radius ##r## to determine the total power radiated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Part (a) is obvious because the ##\hat \phi## component has no dependence on ##\phi##

part(b)

Given ##\vec E (r, \theta, \phi, t) = A \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat \phi##.

I use Faraday's law ##\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}## and the expression of the curl in spherical polar coordinates to find that;

##\vec \nabla \times \vec E = \frac{2A \cos \theta}{r^2} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat r + kA \sin \theta \sin(kr - \omega t) \hat \theta##.

Integrating with respect to time to find ##\vec B## yields;

##\vec B = - [\frac{2A \cos \theta}{r^2} \hat r \int \cos(kr - \omega t)dt + kA \sin \theta \hat \theta \int \sin(kr - \omega t)dt]##

##\vec B = \frac{2A \cos \theta}{r^2 \omega} \sin(kr - \omega t) \hat r - \frac{kA \sin \theta}{\omega} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat \theta + C##

I think that this is the magnetic field, but I haven't used the piece of information given in the question about 'setting the time dependent component to zero'.

What does that piece of information mean here?

Thank you.

BOAS said:
Hello,

I am trying to find the magnetic field that accompanies a time dependent periodic electric field from Faraday's law. The question states that we should 'set to zero' a time dependent component of the magnetic field which is not determined by Faraday's law. I don't understand what is meant by this.

1. Homework Statement

Consider the following periodically time-dependent electric field in free space, which describes a certain kind of wave.

##\vec E (r, \theta, \phi, t) = A \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat \phi##, where ##\omega = ck##

(a) Show that, for r > 0, E~ satisfies Gauss’s law with no charge density.
From Faraday’s law, find the magnetic field. Ignore (set to zero) a time dependent part of the B~ -field not determined by Faraday’s law.
(b) Compute the Poynting vector ##\vec S##.
(c) Calculate ##\bar S##, the average of ##\vec S## over a period ##T = 2π/ω ##.
(d) Find the flux of ##S##through a spherical surface of radius ##r## to determine the total power radiated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Part (a) is obvious because the ##\hat \phi## component has no dependence on ##\phi##

part(b)

Given ##\vec E (r, \theta, \phi, t) = A \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat \phi##.

I use Faraday's law ##\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}## and the expression of the curl in spherical polar coordinates to find that;

##\vec \nabla \times \vec E = \frac{2A \cos \theta}{r^2} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat r + kA \sin \theta \sin(kr - \omega t) \hat \theta##.

Integrating with respect to time to find ##\vec B## yields;

##\vec B = - [\frac{2A \cos \theta}{r^2} \hat r \int \cos(kr - \omega t)dt + kA \sin \theta \hat \theta \int \sin(kr - \omega t)dt]##

##\vec B = \frac{2A \cos \theta}{r^2 \omega} \sin(kr - \omega t) \hat r - \frac{kA \sin \theta}{\omega} \cos(kr - \omega t) \hat \theta + C##

I think that this is the magnetic field, but I haven't used the piece of information given in the question about 'setting the time dependent component to zero'.

What does that piece of information mean here?

Thank you.
Are you sure they did not mean to say "set to zero a time INdependent part of B?? That would make more sense (note that you did that by not including a constant of integration)

Related to Electromagnetic Waves in Spherical Coordinates

1. What are electromagnetic waves in spherical coordinates?

Electromagnetic waves in spherical coordinates refer to the mathematical representation of electromagnetic radiation in a three-dimensional spherical coordinate system, where the coordinates are radius, longitude, and latitude.

2. How do electromagnetic waves behave in spherical coordinates?

Electromagnetic waves in spherical coordinates behave similarly to how they behave in Cartesian coordinates. The only difference is the way they are mathematically represented, where the equations are modified to incorporate the spherical coordinates.

3. What is the significance of using spherical coordinates to study electromagnetic waves?

Spherical coordinates provide a more complete and accurate representation of electromagnetic waves in certain scenarios, such as when studying radiation from a point source or when dealing with spherical objects. They also make calculations and analyses easier in these situations.

4. How are the equations for electromagnetic waves modified in spherical coordinates?

The equations for electromagnetic waves in spherical coordinates are modified by incorporating the spherical coordinate system into the original equations. For example, the usual wave equation becomes the spherical wave equation, and the equations for electric and magnetic fields are expressed in terms of spherical coordinates.

5. What are some practical applications of studying electromagnetic waves in spherical coordinates?

The use of spherical coordinates in studying electromagnetic waves has various practical applications, such as in antenna design, satellite communication, and astronomical observations. It also allows for a more accurate analysis and understanding of electromagnetic radiation in certain scenarios.