Electromagnetic Waves (concept)

In summary, when the angular velocity ω of an electromagnetic wave traveling in the y direction at velocity c is decreased, the ratio of the electric to magnetic field decreases, the velocity of the wave decreases, and the wavelength increases. This is because all electromagnetic waves in vacuum travel at the speed of light c regardless of their frequency or wavelength.
calvert11

Homework Statement

Given the electromagnetic wave traveling in the y direction at velocity c:

B = +cEo sin(k y − ω t) ˆi.

a) What happens to the ratio of the electric to magnetic field if the angular velocity ω of the
wave is decreased? Does it decrease, increase, or remain the same?

b) What happens to the velocity of the wave if the angular velocity ω of the wave is decreased? Does the velocity decrease, increase, or remain the same?

c) What happens to the the wavelength of the wave if the angular velocity ω of the wave is
decreased? Does the wavelength decrease, increase, or remain the same?

Homework Equations

E/B = v
v= ω/k
λ/c = 2*π/ω

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My guess: Since v= ω/k, decreasing ω would decrease v. So, if E/B = v, and v is decreasing, E/B also decreases. I think the ratio decreases. (INCORRECT)

b) My guess: Since v=ω/k, velocity decreases as ω decreases. I think the velocity decreases.

c) My guess: Wavelength is inversely related to angular velocity by λ/c = 2*π/ω. So, if angular velocity decreases, the wavelength increases. I think the wavelength increases.

Physics news on Phys.org
All electromagnetic waves in vacuum travel at the speed of light c regardless of their frequency or wavelength. Start from there and reconsider your answers.

(INCORRECT)

a) Your reasoning is partially correct. As the angular velocity ω decreases, the velocity of the wave also decreases. However, the ratio of the electric to magnetic field actually increases. This is because the electric and magnetic fields are directly proportional to the velocity of the wave, and as the velocity decreases, the electric and magnetic fields decrease at a slower rate, resulting in an increase in their ratio.

b) As mentioned in part a, the velocity of the wave decreases as the angular velocity ω decreases. This is because the velocity of the wave is directly proportional to the angular velocity ω.

c) Your reasoning is again partially correct. As the angular velocity ω decreases, the wavelength actually decreases as well. This is because the wavelength is inversely proportional to the angular velocity, so as the angular velocity decreases, the wavelength decreases.

Related to Electromagnetic Waves (concept)

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through space. They are composed of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate at right angles to each other, and do not require a medium to propagate.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can also travel at the speed of light, while mechanical waves can only travel at a certain speed depending on the medium they are traveling through.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications, such as in communication technologies like radio and television, as well as in medical imaging technologies like X-rays and MRI scans. They are also used in everyday devices like microwaves, cell phones, and remote controls.

How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electric charge is accelerated or decelerated. This can happen naturally, such as in lightning strikes, or artificially, such as in radio and television broadcasting.