Electromagnetic Radiation of Single frequency Incident on a Slab

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving determining the speed of light through a dielectric material and the use of Huygens principle. The index, frequency, and phase angle of the wave are also mentioned. The individual is struggling with the problem and requests help. The conversation also provides a resource for further research on the topic.
MattIverson

Homework Statement

The problem is state in the attachment.

Homework Equations

None to add.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Struggling with this problem because of the phasor part of it. Perhaps this is justified because the angle is very small and so that relates to a low frequency? Is it that you add the x and y vectors together? I'm not really sure. I have some little ideas like that, but honestly I'm pretty lost on this problem.

I would so much appreciate some help with this problem! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
What this refers to is basically a Huygens principle for determining the speed of light through the dielectric which normally gets slowed by the presence of the polarization that occurs in the material with, with ## n=\sqrt{\epsilon_r} ## where ## P=\epsilon_o \chi E ##, and ## \epsilon_r=1+\chi ##. ## \\ ## I don't have the answer at my fingertips either, but I seem to recall something about the index ## n ## being less than 1 for some plasmas above the cut-off frequency, so that the phase velocity would be faster than ## c ##. This would (presumably) make the phase angle positive in the phasor diagram. (I'm just giving you a place to start googling, or researching E&M textbooks). See section 5.2 of this "link" and equation (5.53) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear...a-physics-i-fall-2003/lecture-notes/chap5.pdf For frequencies below ## \omega_p ##, the dielectric constant is negative, making ## n ## imaginary, so the wave does not propagate, but rather gets quickly attenuated.

Last edited:

Related to Electromagnetic Radiation of Single frequency Incident on a Slab

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. What is single frequency incident on a slab?

Single frequency incident on a slab refers to a scenario where a beam of electromagnetic radiation with a single frequency or wavelength is directed towards a slab of material. This can be used to study the interaction and behavior of the radiation with the slab.

3. How is the behavior of electromagnetic radiation affected by the slab?

The behavior of electromagnetic radiation is affected by the slab in several ways. It can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed by the slab depending on the properties of the material and the angle of incidence of the radiation.

4. What factors influence the interaction of single frequency electromagnetic radiation with a slab?

The interaction of single frequency electromagnetic radiation with a slab is influenced by several factors such as the material properties of the slab, the angle of incidence of the radiation, the thickness of the slab, and the wavelength of the radiation.

5. What are the practical applications of studying electromagnetic radiation incident on a slab?

Studying the behavior of electromagnetic radiation incident on a slab has many practical applications. It is used in various fields such as material science, optical imaging, and telecommunications. It also helps in understanding the properties of different materials and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation.