Electromagnetic paper Recycling system( photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks?)

In summary, the concept being discussed is a potential alternative to recycling paper by using a special type of photo-chromic ink. The idea is to use electromagnetic radiation to break down color pigments in a controlled reaction within a machine, making the paper reusable. The cost and practicality of this concept are still unknown, and there are concerns about potential damage to the paper and the need for specific inks. It is also noted that the idea would not be able to remove stains or smudges.
Mosen
Hi Everybody :)

Recently I have been thinking on the concept of reusing paper instead of recycling it by using a special kind of photo-chromic ink,
as chemistry is not my profession ia m writing here just to have your opinions about viability of this concept:

what is the concept about?
Concept of Electromagnetic erasing system is inspired from observation of destructive effects of electromagnetic radiation on color pigments. While ink & pigment producers try to increase resistance of pigments in prolonged exposure to sunlight, this project aims to utilize electromagnetic radiation in a fully controlled reaction inside a machine to break the bonds of color pigments that absorb only a particular range of electromagnetic spectrum. In order to have an efficient system only those CMYK pigments should be utilized that their absorption band is different from paper. In this case, in a similar way as a photochromic or thermochromic material, color pigments start to decompose into colorless products however in contrary to what we expect from a photochromic change, electro erasing would be an irreversible reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Would it also take out coffee stains, greasy smudges, carbon particles (black ink)?

Sounds like a good idea, but a couple of points to highlight:

1. Does the cost of such a system (and any required materials - special ink etc) come in under current paper costs?

2. I've never seen a piece of paper survive in a reusable condition once it has been written on. You always get dog-eared corners, slight creases etc. Would your machine be able to deal with this? Otherwise you're going to be giving out some rather shoddy paper, and see a rapid degradation with each consecutive use.

I have deleted link to the blog and too large pictures, I wonder if we will ever hear from Mosen, or was he only spamming the forum.

@jarednjames

1- the cost of system wouldn't be less than conventional one,its so soon to talk about price. I even don't have a clue yet if it is practically realizable concept or not, that's why i wrote here since you guys might know more than me about it...

2- the problem of dog-eared corners is not a problem at all, we all see many printed papers in offices that apart from the written media are in quite good condition, but we can not use the due to the written ink. the problem might be the damage of the electromagnetic radiation on texture of paper ... that's right and to avoid that the paper pulp must be different from normal paper,
technically the absorption band of paper must be different to the one of the ink to get the best result without damaging to the paper.

by the way, sorry for the late answer, I go disappointed of getting an answer from the thread after some days, and didn't check the thread till today.

@ Borek
i don't get the reason to delete the link and Picture because of my delay in replying someone else.
since it might help reader to understand the concept.
without link and picture you already made this thread a spam one.

here is the http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/01/11/dont-shred-your-paper-disappear-your-ink/" for other users who might need more info...

@ chemisttree: no it wouldn't clear coffee and etc.. it requires using particular inks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electromagnetic paper Recycling system( photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks?)

1. What is an electromagnetic paper recycling system?

An electromagnetic paper recycling system is a technology that uses magnetic fields to sort and recycle paper based on the type of ink used. This system is particularly useful for recycling paper with photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks, which cannot be easily detected and sorted by traditional recycling methods.

2. How does the system work?

The system works by using sensors to detect the presence of magnetic particles in the ink. These particles are attracted to a magnetic field, allowing the system to sort them from other types of ink. The sorted paper can then be recycled separately, ensuring that the photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks do not contaminate the recycling process.

3. What are the benefits of using this system?

The use of an electromagnetic paper recycling system has several benefits. It allows for the recycling of paper products that would otherwise end up in landfills due to the difficulty of separating photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks. It also helps reduce the amount of energy and resources needed for traditional recycling methods, making it a more sustainable option.

4. Is the system cost-effective?

The cost-effectiveness of the system depends on the scale of its implementation. For large recycling facilities or companies that regularly use paper with photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks, the system can be a cost-effective solution in the long run. However, for smaller operations, the initial investment may be higher and may require more thorough cost analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to the system?

One limitation of the electromagnetic paper recycling system is that it can only detect and sort certain types of inks, specifically those containing magnetic particles. Some photo-chromic or thermo-chromic inks may not have these particles and therefore cannot be sorted using this system. Additionally, the system may require regular maintenance and calibration to ensure accurate sorting.

Back