Could use some help on physics (mechanics problem help)

• Thread starter shivas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the model rocket reaches its max height after 7.5 seconds of flight. This is found by combining the times from the acceleration and deceleration parts, which are 3 seconds and 4.5 seconds respectively.
shivas
i was wondering if someone on this board would kindly bestow their knowledge onto this problem... thank you..

A model rocket launches with initial net upward acceleration of 1.5g where g is the absolute value of the acceleration due to gravity. This accerlation is maintained for 3 secs. Adter the 3 secs has passed the rocket coasts and eventually falls back to earth. At what time does the rocket reach its max height??

-- thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done?
What equations have you been given that might be of use? There are several different ways of solving this problem depending on the level of your Math, show us some of what you know about it. That will help us know where to start.

well I am thinkin i should use kinematics equations to solve this... but not sure which one

i know how to do calculus...

kinematics equations are all you need.

First of all, what can you say about the velocity when the rocket reaches its max height? see if that helps.

velocity is zero at maX, right?

correct. Now what formula do you have to find velocity?
and what variables do you know in the formula?

shivas said:
A model rocket launches with initial net upward acceleration of 1.5g where g is the absolute value of the acceleration due to gravity. This accerlation is maintained for 3 secs. Adter the 3 secs has passed the rocket coasts and eventually falls back to earth. At what time does the rocket reach its max height??

Break it into 2 parts, accelerating and decelerating. First, we know the time for the acceleration part, now find the velocity for it.

[tex]V = at[/tex]

[tex]V = (1.5g)(3)[/tex]

[tex]V = 4.5g[/tex]

Now for the second part. We know the final velocity is 0 but we don't know the time, so let's find the time.

[tex]V_f = V_i + at[/tex]

Vf is 0, Vi is the V from part one, a is -g (since it's the opposite direction of the velocity) and t is just t.

[tex]0 = 4.5g + (-g)(t)[/tex]

[tex]gt = 4.5g[/tex]

[tex]t = 4.5[/tex]

So you know the time from part one is 3s and the time from part 2 is 4.5 seconds. Now add em together

[tex]t = 3 + 4.5[/tex]

[tex]t = 7.5[/tex] seconds

1. What is the best approach to solving a mechanics problem?

The best approach to solving a mechanics problem is to first identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, draw a diagram to visualize the problem and use the appropriate equations and principles to solve for the unknown variables.

2. How do you know which equation to use in a mechanics problem?

The equation(s) to use in a mechanics problem depends on the type of motion involved (linear, circular, rotational), the given information, and the unknown variables. It is important to understand the principles behind the equations and how they relate to the problem at hand.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a mechanics problem?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving a mechanics problem include using the wrong equation, not considering all the forces acting on the object, not properly labeling the forces and variables in the diagram, and using incorrect units in calculations.

4. How can I check my answer for a mechanics problem?

You can check your answer for a mechanics problem by substituting the values back into the original equation and seeing if it balances out. You can also use common sense and make sure the answer is reasonable and matches the given information.

5. What are some resources for further help with mechanics problems?

Some resources for further help with mechanics problems include online tutorials and practice problems, textbooks, study groups or tutoring sessions, and asking a teacher or professor for assistance.