Electromagnetic Induction -- Insane Idea

In summary, this is a research project for FLL that is investigating ways to transfer power through rings of conductive and paramagnetic material. The device described is an unusual transmission line that suffers high losses unless the links have the optimum magnetic characteristics.
TateTheL
TL;DR Summary
TL;DNR Can you use electromagnetic induction to transfer a current?
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your link requires permission. Why do you put current in quotes? Are you asking about transformers?

Likes davenn
Welcome to the PF.
TateTheL said:
this is a research project for FLL
What's FLL?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What's FLL?
Yeah, I don't think he's talking about the Broward County Airport (Florida) :smile:

I'm curious to know what FLL is too, and I'd like to know what's insane about this.

I once had lots of fun ideas about coupled lines. There's always a caveat: They are often imperfect and lossy, and this creates huge limitations.

Well, TL:DNR means Too Late: Do Not Resuscitate

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes russ_watters, davenn and berkeman
@TateTheL you obviously are not going get any answers unless you clarify your question.

phinds said:
Your link requires permission. Why do you put current in quotes? Are you asking about transformers?

Current is in quotes because it wouldn't be just a current, it would theoretically be switching from magnetic field to current and back, so its like a current, but not actually a continuous current.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What's FLL?

FLL is First Lego League, an international robotics competition that also has a research project. This year, the topic is "problems in cities", so we researched them and tried to make a solution

TateTheL said:
Current is in quotes because it wouldn't be just a current, it would theoretically be switching from magnetic field to current and back.
Yes, that's how it works to cause current in one object to induce current in anther object, there's a moving magnetic field between the two, so your caveat is unnecessary (but I now understand why you thought it was needed).

TateTheL said:
FLL is First Lego League, an international robotics competition that also has a research project. This year, the topic is "problems in cities", so we researched them and tried to make a solution
And what does your still not very well described device have to do with solutions for cities? I don't mean that I doubt that there IS one, just that you have not given us any information. What is it that you are trying to do?

Just so you know, when it starts to feel like pulling teeth to get information from someone asking a question, people lose interest pretty quickly.

Likes russ_watters and davenn
Are you talking about inductive coupling for wireless charging or power transfer?

Cheers

It is very interesting because it is an unusual transmission line. But we need a bit more, as people have asked.

Maybe if you pass an AC current through a wire loop that passes through an iron chain link, a magnetic field will be induced in the first chain link. That first link will then induce a current in the next link, and so on up the chain. A light globe hanging from odd links will light, but from even links will not.

Surrounding two linked links with a separate link will generate a current and a flux in every link of the chain. Then a light would light when hanging from any link.

But the losses will be very high unless you can make links with the optimum magnetic characteristics. I do not know how to make those dual function transforming links.

Kind of metamaterial, then.
Sure, you can. The efficiency, however, is a very different question: together with the wavelength/frequency and such.

Fresh, emerging area of research: nice to post but not likely to get useful answers :sorry:

Related to Electromagnetic Induction -- Insane Idea

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by moving a conductor, such as a wire, through a magnetic field. This motion creates a change in the magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the conductor. This current can then be used to power devices or perform work.

3. What is the "insane idea" in electromagnetic induction?

The "insane idea" in electromagnetic induction refers to the concept of using this phenomenon to create perpetual motion machines, which would generate unlimited energy without the need for any external source. However, this idea has been proven impossible due to the laws of thermodynamics.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators and transformers, which are used to generate and transmit electricity. It is also used in devices like electric motors, induction cooktops, and wireless charging systems.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to other electromagnetic phenomena?

Electromagnetic induction is closely related to other electromagnetic phenomena, such as the generation of electromagnetic waves and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is also a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in many technological advancements.