Electromagnetic induction Coil testing

In summary: Your air coil has a field of 23.4 Tesla and something is moving at 37.5 mph. The magnetic field is 9.4 Tesla and the current is 86,062.5 volts. Testing the max output is not possible without knowing what the resistance of the load is and how to test it.
magnetic-man
Whats the easiest way to test the max output of electricity induced in an air coil.
I will wire it 3 phase delta. (or double delta) Will I need a resistive load attached for current flow? What should I use? How do I test? Use a multi tester? Is there math I can use to estimate the amount. I tried E = B times v times l. Flux in Tesla, velocity in M/s and l in meters. So E = 23.4T X 37.5 M/s x 675M =86,062.5 Volts? How do get amps? I want maximum amps. Is there a trick? This is not hypothetical. I've built this generator. I 'd like to get 550 volts at 100 amps. Possible? Any help would be great. Thanks Magnetic-man

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you could explain what you are doing?

You have an air coil 675 M long (that's about 0.4 mile) and a field of 23.4 tesla (that's about 1 million times the Earth's magnetic field) and something moving at 37.5 m/sec (that's about 84 MPH).

And you have actually built this?

Last edited:
Yes. The coil uses 675m of #18 copper wire. 3 sets of 5 (total 15) very powerful N50 Neodymium magnets. One set is 5@18,800 Gauss each & having 650 lbs of pull force each Total 94,000 Gauss=9.4T A second set is 5 @13,300 Gauss and 210lbs of pull force each Total 66,500Gauss =6.7T A third set of 5@ 14,700gauss and 430Lbs of pull force each Total 73,500 Gauss=7.4T Total magnetic strength or B= 23.5T
They rotate at 3500 PRM proximate to the 675M of copper wire. The coil is curled into a toroidal so It can be continuously encircled in one direction. The magnets rotate 1/16 inch away from the outermost layer of wire. The third set is actually inside the toroidal vessel core and are "dragged" around inside by the coercive force or the exterior magnets. Yes its built. I'm waiting to wind the toroid with the wire until I get some advice on the most effective method of winding it and wiring it. I want it to generate enough volts and amps to run a small office for instance. I've researched many different methods of wrapping the Troidal core. Another guy on here Berkeman, suggested breaking the coil into smaller sections. None longer than each magnetic face. I know in a toroidal all the "Lenz effect" is directed inwardly. This is why the toroidal is used in electronic equipment, because its almost self shielding and does't affect other devices on the board. I originally designed it to run electric vehicles and specifically my electromagnetic piston motor. But those who looked at it so far have said it should have power to spare. My R&D money is very limited so I'm only going to get one shot at wiring this thing right. Thats why I'm asking for help from you geniuses. I don't know how to test it since the current won't be smoothed or rectified or at any hertz frequency. Just raw power. Any advice? Magnetic-man

So, where does the power to rotate the magnets come from?

Thanks for the explanations via Private Mail, but please don't do that.

Do you know what happens if you drop a short magnet down the middle of a long solenoid?

Once the magnet is inside the solenoid, the two poles generate equal and opposite voltages in the solenoid. So, you get zero or a very small voltage out.
Now, can you see how this affects your design?

You can measure the voltage across a solenoid with a voltmeter provided it is AC and of sufficient rating. You can also use an oscilloscope which may be better but would be more expensive. For current, you would have to find a suitable resistor that would not overheat.

Using batteries to drive a motor to drive a generator is generally an inefficient way of generating 550 volts at 100 amps.

I have been researching magnets and coils because I want to build a wind electric generator.
I have discovered some things that may help.

I don't think you can use the number of Tesla's you mention.
BrMax is the strength of the magnetic field in the center of the magnet material.
For closer to real world calculation you need "surface gauss".
It is the surface gauss strength that will directly affect the coil. The air gap between magnet and coil also matters.

KJ Magnetics lists the Surface Gauss for most magnets. Discs tend to have a stronger SG than a block magnet at the same thickness. Example specs

Faraday's Law is the next stop.
Volts=#Turns X surface gauss in Tesla's X Area of the coil in square meters / The speed at which the magnet moves into a coil. As it moves out it will generate the opposite polarity, creating a sine wave.

You state magnets 5 @ 13,300 with 210lb pull force.
My guess is the surface gauss is about 6,400, converted to Tesla's is .64T.

The Tesla's are not additive in a normal coil magnet configuration. And Magnet size and strength usually stays constant, not multiple size magnets. So, whatever the strength of 1 magnet is the # of Tesla's for calculations.
The stronger the gauss the more energy and current that will be produced.
For instance:
234 * .3T * .0067 m^2 (10.5 square inches) / .3 seconds (200rpm) = 1.568 Volts
Approximate length of the wire in the coil is 705 feet for 1.7625 Ohms.
1.568V/1.768Ohms = .89 Amps
Double the gauss only.
234 * .6 * .0067m^2 / .3 = 3.1356 Volts
3.1356V/1.7625 Ohms = 1.78 Amps

Even with this real world results may differ.
Inductive Reactance may add to the total resistance of the coil. (Not sure, still researching.)
For your complex shape, I don't have a clue.
Just sharing what I have learned so far.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Related to Electromagnetic induction Coil testing

1. What is electromagnetic induction coil testing?

Electromagnetic induction coil testing is a method used to assess the quality and functionality of a coil by measuring its electromagnetic properties. This test involves passing an alternating current through the coil and analyzing the resulting electromagnetic field.

2. Why is electromagnetic induction coil testing important?

Electromagnetic induction coil testing is important because it helps to ensure that the coil is functioning properly and meets the required standards. This is crucial for applications in industries such as power generation, telecommunications, and medical devices where the performance of the coil is critical.

3. How is electromagnetic induction coil testing performed?

Electromagnetic induction coil testing is typically performed using specialized equipment such as a coil tester or an impedance analyzer. The coil is connected to the equipment and an alternating current is passed through it while the resulting electromagnetic field is measured and analyzed.

4. What are the benefits of electromagnetic induction coil testing?

The benefits of electromagnetic induction coil testing include the ability to identify any defects or issues with the coil, ensuring its quality and reliability. This type of testing also allows for the optimization of coil design and performance, leading to improved efficiency and cost savings.

5. Are there any limitations to electromagnetic induction coil testing?

While electromagnetic induction coil testing is a highly effective method, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be able to detect internal defects or issues within the coil, and it may also be affected by external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference. It is important to use this testing method in conjunction with other techniques for a more comprehensive assessment of the coil.