Electromagnetic induction and conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not a conductor moving in a uniform magnetic field would have an EMF induced across it. According to Faraday's law, a change in flux through the conductor is necessary for EMF to be induced, but if the flux is the same everywhere in the region, there should be no change in flux and therefore no EMF. However, it is pointed out that a component of the magnetic field perpendicular to both the motion and the conductor can still lead to an induced EMF. The conversation also references the formula F=qvB sin(theta) and mentions that electrons in the wire will be pushed by the magnetic field, resulting in current flowing in the opposite direction.
ViolentCorpse
Hello everyone,

One very basic thing about this phenomenon is not very clear to me. If a conductor moves in a region of uniform magnetic field, would it have an EMF induced across it? I'm confused because as per Faraday's law, a change in flux through the conductor is necessary for EMF to be induced in it but if the flux is everywhere the same in the region where the conductor is moving, there should be no change in flux through it and consequently, no EMF in it.

How much wrong am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a conductor moves in a region of uniform magnetic field, would it have an EMF induced across it?
If it has a component perpendicular to both motion and magnetic field, yes.

I'm confused because as per Faraday's law, a change in flux through the conductor is necessary for EMF to be induced in it but if the flux is everywhere the same in the region where the conductor is moving, there should be no change in flux through it and consequently, no EMF in it.
Think of an imaginary loop, with the moving conductor and some stationary part, completing the loop (and some hand-waving to maintain the connection). The flux through this loop will change.

Likes 1 person
Remember the F=qvB sin (theta) formula... The electrons in the wire will be pushed by the m field resulting in current flowing the opposite direction... As mfb said,there only has to a component of the m field perpendicular to the velocity...

Likes 1 person
I see.

Thank you!

Hello there! Your question is a very valid one and shows that you have a good understanding of Faraday's law of induction. You are correct in saying that a change in flux is necessary for an EMF to be induced in a conductor. However, in the case of a conductor moving in a uniform magnetic field, there is a change in the orientation of the conductor with respect to the magnetic field. This change in orientation causes a change in the flux through the conductor, thus inducing an EMF. So, your understanding is not wrong, but it is important to consider all factors, such as the orientation of the conductor, when applying Faraday's law. I hope this helps clarify things for you! Keep asking questions and exploring the wonders of electromagnetic induction.

Related to Electromagnetic induction and conductor

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which an electric current is produced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

According to Faraday's law of induction, when a conductor is moved through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field around a conductor changes, a current is induced in the conductor.

3. What is a conductor?

A conductor is a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily. Examples include copper, aluminum, and gold.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical uses, including power generation in electric generators, wireless charging of electronic devices, and induction cooktops.

5. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and static electricity?

Electromagnetic induction involves the generation of electric current through a changing magnetic field, while static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object.