Electromagnetic Force on a Moving Proton: Homework Example

In summary: If I assume its zero then my radius would be zero? Or would I have to use a kinematics or energy formula to solve?If you don't have velocity, then you can use the following equation to solve for the radius: r = mv/q.
Schaus

Homework Statement

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HPLcLqiEmZPOh_7gIM0jNK4cXk6KMgMz2StpKfDC4QDa5Z66Cc-CQ4HKx8nY1n8AF74paz2NM3aaqmVPDVUxAkY9nGhaZGP6f9nu4ItV1cB6GFRASPnt1GI3tmWoOz47r5163k5mJf89FAwKHOkW6XCIeD1pYHAr1J2UXQCPlA1L3njmFTIZOYQYjXpmwO-FQ7WQ3ntnb6kUUpmoxk8UHqYDvxIP04tFgdP6Z654-yOCf-KJaqzbWkv6L4to4kR2BaMA017mxG9ZTVofrA_vuIVVlWV7-9QpguWva93N4GYGItiXDB59hPJpUjVLE6LNKwS04Imvzj1x8NWIswca14eg5KmWe4riQeVybL5sb5xhQ2Q5OZbqMgrS1k-KMtQjoOomr3YkCSEmVWrJSW7ltaW71et85585uwz7VUzGX-mvlro2VklAN349QPfCqqOBr3UUTHOEdaizmutciSU7RH9OMdsyCVEuBuT28icPDkmeC5rDRjnwEaUMbCX5ntOSCL9hrPkhEEpMY7nF1vee4vNoPIfZjVRa4UP5l7kGj_RNIcqlTqdORWIscWpCFypHTRZRurdZ8b_MLPr2lVZBY0TLEC4MK_kC7oIgE_C41_phTjGW3dQC=w757-h450-no

UP5l7kGj_RNIcqlTqdORWIscWpCFypHTRZRurdZ8b_MLPr2lVZBY0TLEC4MK_kC7oIgE_C41_phTjGW3dQC=w757-h450-no.png

Homework Equations

F = QvB
V = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just learning this stuff and I wasn't given an example of any kind so I don't really know how to start this question...
For 8.a) If I'm using the RHR and my thumb is facing in the x direction then I believe the proton will be deflected downwards? I was also under the impression that work done had to be parallel to the force and if the proton is being deflected then there is no work done?

8.b) I tried doing mv/r = qB and rearranging the formula for r = mv/qB but if I don't have velocity and I'm left with 2 variables I'm at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Schaus said:
For 8.a) If I'm using the RHR and my thumb is facing in the x direction then I believe the proton will be deflected downwards?
Correct.

I was also under the impression that work done had to be parallel to the force and if the proton is being deflected then there is no work done?
Correct

8.b) I tried doing mv/r = qB and rearranging the formula for r = mv/qB but if I don't have velocity and I'm left with 2 variables I'm at a loss.
What is the proton's velocity after it is accelerated through 10,000V? I think you should assume that it starts from rest.

Likes Schaus
If I assume its zero then my radius would be zero? Or would I have to use a kinematics or energy formula to solve? If so I don't know what else I have to go on to use the formulas or which formula.

I meant that you should assume that the proton's velocity is zero before it is accelerated through 10,000V. Do you know how to calculate its velocity after it has been accelerated through 10,000 V, assuming that it is at rest before the acceleration starts? How much energy will it gain after it has been accelerated through 10,000 V?

Likes Schaus
Would I use the formula ΔV=ΔEp/Q. Otherwise I'm not sure how to find the speed with voltage.

You are correct that the change in energy is Q ΔV. Then what is the velocity?

Likes Schaus
I found the velocity to be 1.38 x 106m/s. I plugged that into the rest of the info I had and got my answer of 7.2cm! Thanks for your help!

What is an electromagnetic problem?

An electromagnetic problem is a type of scientific problem that involves the study and analysis of the interactions between electric and magnetic fields. This can include problems related to the behavior of electromagnetic waves, the properties of materials in electromagnetic fields, and the generation and transmission of electricity.

What are some common examples of electromagnetic problems?

Some common examples of electromagnetic problems include understanding how radio waves are transmitted and received, predicting the behavior of lightning strikes, and designing circuits for electronic devices. Other examples include studying the effects of electromagnetic radiation on human health and developing technologies for wireless communication and energy generation.

Why are electromagnetic problems important?

Electromagnetic problems are important because they allow us to understand and manipulate the fundamental forces of electricity and magnetism, which are essential for many aspects of modern technology. They also have practical applications in areas such as communication, transportation, and medicine.

What are some techniques used to solve electromagnetic problems?

There are several techniques used to solve electromagnetic problems, including Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and the finite element method, which is a numerical approach for solving complex electromagnetics problems. Other techniques include circuit analysis and computational electromagnetics.

What are some real-world applications of solving electromagnetic problems?

Solving electromagnetic problems has a wide range of real-world applications, including the development of new technologies such as wireless charging, MRI machines, and satellite communication systems. It also has practical uses in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and renewable energy. Understanding electromagnetic problems also allows us to better understand natural phenomena such as thunderstorms and the aurora borealis.