Electromagnetic fields: Eletric potential inside a non conductive sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential within a non-conductive sphere of radius a at a point r from the center of the sphere. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are provided, including the use of line integrals and the confusion over the correct limits to use. The poster also mentions receiving mixed information from their teacher.
GhostStudent

Homework Statement

Hello all;
i am trying to calculate the potential, inside a non conductive sphere of radius equal to a, in a point at a distance r from the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

i know that:
lLXjw.png

where E and s are vectors;
and that the Eletric field inside the sphere is:
bLOuE.png

The Attempt at a Solution

since the distance r is:
0<r<a
i changed the limits so that:
HaUIV.png

but here comes the part were i am stuck:
i found:
ltF89.png

but the correct answer, so far, should be
g3KkV.png

which means that the first integral [
QHClG.png
] should be equal to zero, but i can't seem to understand why

thx in advance.
p.s.:
please tell me if the images are not showing up.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear why you have two line integrals. You should use

[tex]\varphi(r)-\varphi(a)=-\int^{r}_{a}\vec{E}\cdot \vec{ds}[/tex]

i guess i was thinking more on terms of the path i should take, that's why my first integral ranges from 0 to a (size of the sphere), but since r is greater than 0 and smaller than a (because its inside the sphere, away from both the center and the surface) i changed the ranges.

dont know if i made it clear or not.

also, i was going to apply that equation, like you said, directly, but when my teacher demonstrated a similar problem in class, he also used those limits, so i guess i got a little mixed up.

thx man

Related to Electromagnetic fields: Eletric potential inside a non conductive sphere

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and is responsible for the interactions between electricity and magnetism.

2. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific location in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

3. How is electric potential inside a non conductive sphere calculated?

The electric potential inside a non conductive sphere is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

4. How does electric potential vary inside a non conductive sphere?

The electric potential inside a non conductive sphere varies according to the distance from the center of the sphere. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases, following an inverse relationship.

5. Can the electric potential inside a non conductive sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric potential inside a non conductive sphere can be negative, as long as the charge of the sphere is negative. This indicates that the electric potential energy of a negatively charged particle at that location is decreasing.