Electromagnetic field, Gauss’ Law questions

In summary, the conversation is about asking for help with a physics problem involving electric charges and forces. The first question asks to calculate the net force on two different charges placed in an equilateral triangle, while the second question involves finding the maximum height reached by a charged object in a uniform electric field. The third question uses Gauss' Law to calculate the electric field from an infinite rod with a uniform charge density. The person asking for help expresses confusion and asks for guidance.
Angello90
Hey guys, help needed! Bad lecture, no idea what to do!

The Q1 is:

Q. 1
Three point charges are placed at the apexes of an equilateral triangle as shown in diagram. Calculate the net force on (a) the 5 μC (= 5 × 10‐6 C) charge and (b) the ‐6 μC charge. Give each answer in the form a i + b j where a and b are the x and y components of the force, respectively. The permitivity of free space is
ε0 =8.854×10‐12 F m‐1 (i.e. farad/metre )
Format of answer lines (on Answer Form) :
Answer 1a: a i + b j units
Answer 1b: c i + d j units

The Q2 is:

Q.2
(a) A mass of 1 kg carrying a charge of 0.15 C is launched with an initial velocity of 6 m s‐1 vertically upwards in a uniform electric field, also directed vertically upwards, of strength E= 50 N C‐1. What is the maximum height reached by the mass in its subsequent motion? (6 marks)

(b) If instead the electric field points in a diretion inclined at 60o to the horizontal, what is the maximum
height reached? (4 marks)

And final Q3:

Q. 3
Use Gauss’ Law to calculate the electric field at a distance ρ (rho)
from an infinite rod carrying uniform linear charge density λ
(lambda) coulombs per unit length. Specify the direction of the
field, choosing between the ρ, z and φ (phi) directions (cylindrical
coordinates).
Hint: Calculate the electric flux through the pillbox as shown in
diagram where the direction of the electric field lines decides which
of the pillbox surfaces (the curved surface or the top and bottom flat
surfaces) contributes to the integral over the Gaussian Surface.

Guys, I know I supposed to give my reasoning and what I think what to do, but I don't have a smallest clue! I am ussually good at physics, but my lecture has changed and this one is...

Please help guys!

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 421
  • Q3.jpg
    Q3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Guys does this look right for Q1?

sorry about poor quality, my scanner is down

Attachments

• ANS Q1.jpg
    ANS Q1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 473
for Q1:
i couldn't read ur writing, so i can't tell you if you are right or wrong, but some things to keep in mind for at least the first one (i didn't read the second problem yet) are superposition ~that u can take the sum of the force applied from each of the other electric charges, and that will be the net force~, and that
[tex]\vec{F}=q\vec{E}[/tex] and
[tex] \vec{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\int \frac{\hat{n}}{n^{2}}\rho \:d\tau [/tex] or more simply for point charges
[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon r^{2}}\hat{r}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Electromagnetic field, Gauss’ Law questions

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It is composed of both electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and propagate through space.

2. What is Gauss' Law in relation to electromagnetic fields?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charges to the resulting electric field. It states that the net electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the enclosed electric charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. How is Gauss' Law applied in real-world situations?

Gauss' Law is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the electric field produced by charged objects or systems. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of electric fields in various scenarios, such as inside conductors or near conductive surfaces.

4. Can Gauss' Law be applied to magnetic fields?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to magnetic fields through a different formulation known as Gauss' Law for Magnetism. This law states that the net magnetic flux through a closed surface is always equal to zero.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields have numerous practical applications in our daily lives, including electricity generation and transmission, radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, medical imaging, and many more. They are also essential in various industrial processes and scientific research.