Electromagnetic action in differential forms

In summary, the electromagnetic action can be written in the language of differential forms as ##\displaystyle{S=-\frac{1}{4}\int F\wedge \star F}## and in the language of vector calculus as ##S = \int \frac{1}{2}(E^{2}+B^{2})##. These two formulations are equivalent and can be shown by decomposing the Lagrangian in terms of temporal and spatial components, resulting in an expression proportional to ##(\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2)##.
spaghetti3451
The electromagnetic action can be written in the language of differential forms as

##\displaystyle{S=-\frac{1}{4}\int F\wedge \star F.}##

The electromagnetic action can also be written in the language of vector calculus as

$$S = \int \frac{1}{2}(E^{2}+B^{2})$$

How can you show the equivalence between the two formulations of the electromagnetic action?Here is my attempt:

##\displaystyle{S=-\frac{1}{4}\int F\wedge \star F}##

##\displaystyle{=-\frac{1}{4}\int \left(\sum_i E_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i - \star\sum_i B_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i\right)\wedge \star \left(\sum_j E_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j - \star\sum_j B_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j\right)}##

##\displaystyle{=-\frac{1}{4}\int \left(\sum_i E_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i - \star\sum_i B_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i\right)\wedge \left(\star \sum_j E_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j - \sum_j B_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j\right),}##

since ##\displaystyle{**=(-1)^{p(n+p)+1}}## in Lorentzian space, where ##\star## is applied on a ##p##-form and ##n## is the number of spacetime dimensions, so that, in four dimensions for the ##2##-form ##\displaystyle{dt\wedge dx^{j}}##, ##\displaystyle{**=(-1)^{p(n+p)+1}=-1}##.

What do you do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all your ##S## in (1+3)-form is wrong. The integrand should be ##\propto (\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2)##. Then first write down more carefully ##F## and then ##*F## and then multiply out the forms.

So, you mean that

##\displaystyle{F=\left(\sum_i E_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i - \star\sum_i B_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i\right)}##

is wrong?

It's much easier in components (as usual). The Lagrangian is
$$\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu}.$$
Now
$$F_{0j}=E_j, \quad F_{jk}=-\epsilon_{ijk} B_i,$$
and you can easily decompose the Lagrangian in temporal and spatial components to write it in terms of the ##(1+3)##-formalism. You must get something ##\propto (\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2)##. The other invariant of the Faraday tensor is ##{^\dagger}F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu} \propto \vec{E} \cdot \vec{B}##.

Related to Electromagnetic action in differential forms

1. What is electromagnetic action in differential forms?

Electromagnetic action in differential forms is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It involves expressing the electromagnetic field equations in terms of differential forms, which are mathematical objects that represent the properties of the field at each point in space. This approach allows for a more elegant and concise representation of the equations and has applications in areas such as electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics.

2. How is electromagnetic action in differential forms different from other formulations?

Unlike other formulations of electromagnetism, such as vector calculus or tensor calculus, electromagnetic action in differential forms does not require the use of coordinate systems or basis vectors. This makes it a coordinate-independent approach, which is particularly useful in dealing with curved spaces and general relativity. It also simplifies the equations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. What are the advantages of using electromagnetic action in differential forms?

One of the main advantages of using electromagnetic action in differential forms is that it provides a more elegant and concise representation of the equations of electromagnetism. It also allows for a coordinate-independent approach, making it useful in dealing with general relativity and other areas of physics. Additionally, it can help to simplify calculations and provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of electromagnetism.

4. How is electromagnetic action in differential forms applied in research?

Electromagnetic action in differential forms has applications in various areas of research, including electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different contexts, such as in the presence of gravitational fields or in quantum systems. It also has applications in developing new theories and models in physics, and in studying the properties of electromagnetic waves and particles.

5. What are some common misconceptions about electromagnetic action in differential forms?

One common misconception about electromagnetic action in differential forms is that it is a completely different theory from other formulations of electromagnetism. In reality, it is just a different mathematical approach to describing the same physical phenomena. Another misconception is that it is only applicable in advanced theoretical physics, when in fact it has practical applications in many areas of science and engineering. Finally, some may think that it is a replacement for other formulations, when in fact it is just another tool in the physicist's toolbox.