Electrolytic vs. electrochemical vs. galvanic cells.

In summary, the difference between electrolytic and galvanic cells is that electrolytic cells require external energy input while galvanic cells produce energy on their own. Both are types of electrochemical cells.
Drteeth
So my question is what is the difference between these cells? This always confuses me. I know that electrolytic cells are nonspontaneous and that their cathode is negative which means that electrons are going against their gradients here. I am also aware of the fact that a galvanic cells is spontaneous and that the cathode is positive, however, I was unsure if this is its own cell type or is it a type of electrochemical cell?

Thanks for clearing this confusion up for me!
drteeth is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Drteeth, you just answered your own question. What confuses you?
Electrolytic - The reaction needs energy to be put into the system from external source; otherwise the reaction does not happen.
Galvanic - the reaction happens because it WANTS to happen; no energy needs to be supplied from the outside.

**** ... i forgot that the anodes/cathodes are different charges, i was asked a bunch of questions on that on my final. eek!

Ok, I think I figured this out - both electrolytic and galvanic cells are electrochemical cells. It was really just the classifications that I wasnt getting...

Thanks for the help...

Last edited:
In electrolytic cell, electrical energy is converted to chemical energy where as in galvanic cell, chemical energy is converted to electrical energy.

Related to Electrolytic vs. electrochemical vs. galvanic cells.

1. What is the difference between an electrolytic cell and an electrochemical cell?

An electrolytic cell is a type of electrochemical cell in which electrical energy is used to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction. This means that the reaction will not occur on its own, but requires an external energy source. In contrast, an electrochemical cell is a type of cell in which spontaneous chemical reactions produce electrical energy.

2. How do galvanic cells differ from electrolytic and electrochemical cells?

Galvanic cells, also known as voltaic cells, are a type of electrochemical cell in which spontaneous redox reactions produce electrical energy. They differ from electrolytic cells in that they do not require an external energy source to drive the reaction, and from electrochemical cells in that they do not use a membrane to separate the two half-cells.

3. What are some real-world applications of electrolytic, electrochemical, and galvanic cells?

Electrolytic cells are used in processes such as electroplating, where a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a conductive surface. Electrochemical cells are commonly used in batteries and fuel cells to power electronic devices. Galvanic cells are used in everyday devices such as flashlights, watches, and calculators.

4. Can the type of cell used impact the efficiency of a chemical reaction?

Yes, the type of cell used can impact the efficiency of a chemical reaction. Electrolytic cells require an external energy source, which can add to the overall energy cost of the reaction. In contrast, galvanic cells produce electrical energy, making them more efficient for powering devices. Electrochemical cells can also vary in efficiency depending on the materials used in the half-cells and the design of the cell.

5. How do the components of each type of cell differ?

The components of each type of cell vary depending on the specific design and purpose. However, in general, electrolytic cells contain an anode, a cathode, and an external power supply. Electrochemical cells also have an anode and cathode, but they may use a membrane to separate the two half-cells. Galvanic cells typically consist of two half-cells, each containing an electrode, electrolyte solution, and a salt bridge to connect the two half-cells.