Electrodynamics problem - force equilibrium

In summary: In this case the side of the triangle with the weight m1 is the hypotenuse and that side is 90 degrees. So the other two sides are 60 and 30 degrees. In order to solve for the torque about P you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Hope that helps!In summary, the proportion of the masses (m1 / m2) is 1/sqrt(3).
y_r123

Homework Statement

charges.jpg

Hello! I have a question about the following problem:

Two point masses m1 and m2 are attached to isolating wires to point P. They are both positively charges (charge Q1 and Q2) and in the picture you can see the situation at equilibrium.

What is the proportion of the masses (m1 / m2)?[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is how I would do it:

We have the weight force for m1 which is W1 = m1 * g and for m2 we have W2 = m2 * g

The forces W are is in y-direction

For other forces of the y-direction we have to break down the tension force into its x and y components.

For m1 we can say that the tension force in y direction is T1y = T1 * cos (60°) and for m2 the tension force in y direction is T2y = T2 * cos(30°)

this means that T1 * cos (60°) - m1 * g = 0
and T2 * cos (30°) - m2 g )= 0

or T1 * cos (60°) = m1 * g
and T2 * cos (30°) = m2 * g

If we divide the both equations we get
T1 / T2 * cos(60°) / cos(30°) = m1 / m2

for cos(60) = 1/2
for cos (30) = sqrt (3) /2

cos(60)/cos(30) = 1/sqrt(3)

which leads us to T1 / T2 * 1/sqrt(3) = m1/m2

how can I get rid of T1/T2 and what is m1/m2?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• charges.jpg
    charges.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Y, :welcome:
y_r123 said:
we have to break down the tension force into its x and y components
So a this point you need another equation involving these two ratios. Any idea ?

well the x components are T2 * sin(60°) - T1 * sin(30°) = 0

which is T2 * sqrt (3)/2 = T1 * 1/2

so T1 / T2 = sqrt (3)

if we but that in our first equation then we get m1 / m2 = sqrt (3) * 1/sqrt(3) which should be 1

and the possible given solutions are:

A) 3 B) 1/3 C) 1/sqrt(3)

so I don't know where I did something wrong

Y

y_r123 said:
well the x components are T2 * sin(60°) - T1 * sin(30°) = 0
Are you sure you've chosen the right trig function?

ok I see the mistake and if I turn it around it should be 1/3

Right. You might have also taken a slightly different approach by considering the torque about point P. Since the assembly is in equilibrium that torque should be zero. You should know the relative lengths of the sides of the common 30-60-90 triangle.

Related to Electrodynamics problem - force equilibrium

1. What is meant by force equilibrium in electrodynamics?

Force equilibrium in electrodynamics refers to the state in which the sum of all forces acting on a charged particle or system of particles is equal to zero. This means that the forces are balanced and there is no net acceleration of the particles.

2. How is force equilibrium related to Newton's laws of motion?

Force equilibrium is directly related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law which states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of force equilibrium, the sum of all external forces is equal to zero, so the object will remain in its current state of motion.

3. What is the role of electric and magnetic fields in electrodynamics force equilibrium?

In electrodynamics, electric and magnetic fields play a crucial role in force equilibrium. These fields can exert forces on charged particles, and in order for force equilibrium to be achieved, the forces from these fields must be balanced with any other external forces acting on the particles.

4. How can the principle of superposition be applied to solve electrodynamics force equilibrium problems?

The principle of superposition states that the total force acting on a particle is the sum of all individual forces acting on that particle. This principle can be applied to electrodynamics force equilibrium problems by breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts and then adding the forces from each part to find the overall force equilibrium.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrodynamics force equilibrium?

Electrodynamics force equilibrium has many practical applications, such as in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, calculating the stability of satellites in orbit, and understanding the behavior of particles in accelerators or particle colliders. It is also essential in the study of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.