Electrodynamics problem -- Calculating the resistance of ocean water

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of seawater as a return path for electrical current and the resistance of the ocean compared to that of a cable. The problem also involves calculating the resistance of a cylindrical path of seawater and the effects of different dimensions and shapes on the resistance. It is also mentioned that a return path is necessary for current to flow.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
The first telegraphic messages crossed the Atlantic in 1858, by a
cable 3000 km long laid between Newfoundland and Ireland. The
conductor in this cable consisted of seven copper wires, each of
diameter 0.73 mm, bundled together and surrounded by an insulating
sheath.
Relevant Equations
A return path for the current was provided by the ocean itself.
Given that the resistivity of seawater is about 0.25 ohm-meter,
see if you can show that the resistance of the ocean return
would have been much smaller than that of the cable. (Assume
that the electrodes immersed in the water were spheres with
radius, say, 10 cm.)

I will not post my attempt to solve it because, actually, i have no idea what the question is talking about.
What i am suppose to do with this spheres in the water?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem wants you to calculate the resistance of a cylindrical path of seawater that is 3000km long and has 10cm radius. But of course this is kind of absurd because when we immerse an electrode into sea , the signal path is not a narrow cylindrical path, instead the signal transmits spherically to all directions of the water.

EDIT: In view of the following posts i realized i was wrong, please ignore this post.

Last edited:
I think the 10 cm electrodes are included to imply they are not a high resistance chokepoint. So what is the resistance of the 3000 km wire?? How about a 2000km "slab" of ocean? Which is less?

hutchphd said:
How about a 3000km "slab" of ocean?
What dimensions of width and depth are you going to take for this slab?

How about 1kmX10km and see where that puts you. So the area will be ##10^7m^2##. This is then ##10^{12}## the section area of the copper wire. I'll bet that wins by a lot.

ok fine, but (here comes the question i was afraid to ask) why can't we achieve communication this way, say by putting one electrode (not just 10cm but i would say 10m long) at the harbor in New York and one at the harbor in ireland?

I guess main reason is because anything can interfere along the ocean path from new york to ireland.

The resistance of the water between the 10 cm sphere and a larger sphere may be significant. You need to estimate that.

Delta2 said:
ok fine, but (here comes the question i was afraid to ask) why can't we achieve communication this way, say by putting one electrode (not just 10cm but i would say 10m long) at the harbor in New York and one at the harbor in ireland?
Because you need a circuit.

Delta2 said:
calculate the resistance of a cylindrical path of seawater that is 3000km long and has 10cm radius
No, that would probably be a significant resistance.
The path widens as an expanding sphere from each end, so the resistance along the path falls off quickly.
Consider a sphere of radius R held at voltage V and embedded in an infinite medium of given resistivity. The voltage at infinity is zero. What current flows?

haruspex said:
Consider a sphere of radius R held at voltage V and embedded in an infinite medium of given resistivity. The voltage at infinity is zero. What current flows?
That seems like an interesting problem i think we first need to calculate V(r) from r=0 to infinity.
But ,maybe the current is zero, unless we have some return path?

Delta2 said:
But ,maybe the current is zero, unless we have some return path?
That the voltages at sphere and at infinity stay constant assumes a return path. You don't need to add one.

1. How is the resistance of ocean water calculated?

The resistance of ocean water can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In the case of ocean water, the voltage is typically measured using electrodes and the current is generated by an electrical source. The resistance can then be determined by dividing the voltage by the current.

2. What factors affect the resistance of ocean water?

The resistance of ocean water is affected by several factors, including the salinity (concentration of dissolved salts), temperature, and depth of the water. As salinity increases, the resistance also increases. Higher temperatures can also increase resistance, as warmer water has more free ions that can conduct electricity. The depth of the water can also impact resistance, as deeper water has higher pressure which can compress the water molecules and increase resistance.

3. What is the typical resistance of ocean water?

The resistance of ocean water can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. On average, the resistance of ocean water is around 2000 ohms per meter. However, this can range from 1000 to 9000 ohms per meter depending on the location and conditions of the water.

4. How is the resistance of ocean water used in practical applications?

The resistance of ocean water is an important factor in the design and maintenance of underwater cables and equipment. It is also used in the measurement of ocean currents and in the detection of underwater objects using sonar technology. Additionally, the resistance of ocean water is a key factor in the study of marine life and the effects of electricity on aquatic organisms.

5. Can the resistance of ocean water change over time?

Yes, the resistance of ocean water can change over time due to various factors such as changes in salinity and temperature. For example, during heavy rainfall, the resistance of ocean water near river mouths can decrease due to the influx of freshwater. Similarly, changes in ocean currents and tides can also affect the resistance of ocean water in certain areas. Therefore, it is important to regularly monitor and account for these changes when calculating the resistance of ocean water.