Electrodynamics, multipolar development doubt

In summary: I thought it was going down. In summary, the electric field in all points of the z axis is -b/(2*π*ε0*z)y^+ (λ*a)/(2*ε0*z^2)z^.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

In the XY plane there are two point charges +q at (0, -b, 0) and –q at (0, b, 0) and a ring of radius a centred in the centre of the plane:

Find the electric field in all points of the z axis and study the field’s dominant behaviour at distances z >>a,b.

Find the electric field at any point of space at big distances by using the two firsts terms of the multipolar development and compare with the previousparagraph.
Electrodinamica1.jpg

The z axis pops out of the paper and goes up.

Homework Equations

All bold leters are vectors
any x^, y^, z^, is a vector of module 1.
p= sum(ri*qi)
Φ1=(1/4*π*ε0)*(r*p/r^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I don’t have much trouble with the first part, I find the field of a positive punctual charge at the z axis, same with a negative and by superposing both, I finish with

–b/2*π*ε0*(z^2+b^2)^0.5 in the y direction.

For the ring, I have (λ*a)/(2*ε0*(z^2+a^2)^(3/2) in the z direction. λ is the linear density of charge

At big distances the total field is -b/(2*π*ε0*z)y^+ (λ*a)/(2*ε0*z^2)z^Trouble comes when I arrive to the second part because when I calculate the three contributions the monopolar, dipolar and quadrupolar. The ring doesn’t produce any multipolar development

The first one is 0, the total charge is 0, the second contribution, the dipolar one is pr/(4*π*ε0), p=2bqy^

And last, when I have to find the quadripolar, momentum as
(¼*π*ε0)*Σ(Qij*(3xixj-(r^2)*δij)/r^5)
I find that Q11=Qxx=0, Qzz=Q33=0 and Q22=Qyy=(1/2)[(-b)(-b)q+(b)(b)(-q)]=0.
Meaning that the quadripolar momentum is 0, I know that I cannot go to further terms because the teacher has said that we won’t study these, so I find myself with just one term when in the description of the problem they tell me to use two terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Frank Einstein said:
The z axis pops out of the paper and goes up.
Really?

Related to Electrodynamics, multipolar development doubt

1. What is Electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. It is a fundamental theory that explains how electricity and magnetism are related and how they affect the behavior of matter.

2. What is multipolar development doubt in Electrodynamics?

Multipolar development doubt refers to the uncertainty in the development of an electromagnetic field due to the presence of multiple sources or charges. This doubt arises because the electric and magnetic fields produced by these sources can interact and interfere with each other, leading to complex and unpredictable behavior.

3. How does multipolar development doubt affect the study of Electrodynamics?

Multipolar development doubt poses a challenge in accurately predicting and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods to analyze and model these complex systems. Additionally, it highlights the importance of considering all sources and charges in a system to fully understand its behavior.

4. Can multipolar development doubt be eliminated in Electrodynamics?

No, multipolar development doubt is a fundamental aspect of Electrodynamics and cannot be eliminated. However, it can be minimized by simplifying the system, using approximations, or by considering only a few dominant sources. In some cases, the doubt can be eliminated for specific situations, but it will still exist in a larger context.

5. How is Electrodynamics used in practical applications?

Electrodynamics has numerous practical applications, including telecommunications, power generation and distribution, electronics, and medical imaging. It is also the basis for technologies like motors, generators, and transformers. Understanding and manipulating electromagnetic fields is crucial for many modern technologies and industries.