Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis (Fouriers Trick)

In summary, the question is asking for the potential inside a rectangular pipe formed by two infinitely grounded metal plates connected at the edges by metal strips maintained at a constant potential V. Using Laplace's equation and the Fourier trick, the solution involves canceling out the cosh term and being left with only the sine term.
Tphysics

Homework Statement

Two infinitely grounded metal plates at y=0 and y=a are connected at x=b and x=-b by metal strips maintained at a constant potential V. Find the potential inside the rectangular pipe.

Homework Equations

Laplaces Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted a photo of what I've done so far. The line indicates where I stray off I'm confused because how can I use fouriers trick with cosh?

Attachments

• IMG_5578.JPG
    IMG_5578.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
This is also example 3.4 in Griffiths E&M. He just breezes over the Fourier analysis part saying its the same as example 3.3 which is in this photo. However my cosh term doesn't cancel so I'm not just left with the sine term?

Attachments

• IMG_5579.JPG
    IMG_5579.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 878

Related to Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis (Fouriers Trick)

1. What is Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis?

Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis, also known as Fourier's Trick, is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal or function into simpler sinusoidal components. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetic fields and their behavior.

2. How does Fourier's Trick work?

Fourier's Trick works by representing a complex signal or function as a sum of simple sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. This allows for the analysis and understanding of the behavior of the original signal in terms of its frequency components.

3. What are the applications of Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis?

Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis has numerous applications in the field of electromagnetism, including the analysis of electromagnetic waves, the behavior of antennas and transmission lines, and the design of filters and other electronic circuits. It is also used in data compression, signal processing, and image analysis.

4. What are the limitations of Fourier's Trick?

While Fourier's Trick is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to signals or functions that are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves at regular intervals. It also assumes that the signal is continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.

5. How does Electrodynamics Fourier Analysis relate to other branches of physics?

Fourier's Trick is closely related to other mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms and Taylor series expansions. It is also used in other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics, to analyze complex systems and phenomena in terms of simpler components.