Electrodynamics: Amplitude of currents

In summary, the conversation discusses the amplitude of current through a resistance in a circuit. The first equation provided by the person asking the question is correct, but the book mentions a different equation for the impedance in a series tank circuit. It is noted that the circuit in question is not a series tank circuit and therefore the first equation is correct.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Please take a look at the attached circuit. I've have found the amplitude of the current through the resistance to be:

[tex]
\left| {I_0 } \right| = \frac{{\varepsilon _0 }}{{\left| {R - \frac{R}{{\omega ^2 LC}} + \frac{i}{{\omega C}}} \right|}},
[/tex]

where ε_0 is the amplitude of the EMF, and the EMF is given by ε_0 cos(ωt). This is all good (and correct too! :approve:), but in my book it says that in general, the amplitude of the current is given by:

[tex]
\left| {I_0 } \right| = \frac{{\varepsilon _0 }}{{\left| Z \right|}},
[/tex]

where Z is the impedance. So according to my book, the amplitude of the current through the resistance must be:

[tex]
\left| {I_0 } \right| = \frac{{\varepsilon _0 }}{{\left| {R - i\omega L + \frac{i}{{\omega C}}} \right|}}.
[/tex]

What's wrong here? I mean, I know my result is correct, but it is obviously not the same as the one my book wants. What impedance is it I have in my denominator then?

Thanks in advance.Niles.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something's amiss here. Don't know where your first equation came from, but the third equation (from your book, you say) describes a series tank circuit and not the series/parallel circuit you drew.

Last edited:
Note that

[tex] {R - i\omega L + \frac{i}{{\omega C}}} [/tex]

would be the impedance if all three elements were in series. However that is not the case in the circuit you show.

Related to Electrodynamics: Amplitude of currents

What is the definition of amplitude in electrodynamics?

Amplitude in electrodynamics refers to the maximum displacement or strength of an oscillating electric or magnetic field. It is a measure of the magnitude of the field and is often represented by the symbol A.

How is the amplitude of a current related to its intensity?

The amplitude of a current is directly proportional to its intensity. This means that as the amplitude increases, the intensity of the current also increases, and vice versa.

What is the unit of measurement for amplitude in electrodynamics?

The unit of measurement for amplitude in electrodynamics is usually expressed in terms of either volts (V) for electric fields or teslas (T) for magnetic fields. However, it can also be represented in units of amperes (A) for current amplitude.

How does the amplitude of a current affect the strength of an electromagnetic wave?

The amplitude of a current is directly related to the strength of an electromagnetic wave. As the amplitude increases, the strength of the wave also increases, resulting in a higher energy and frequency.

What factors can affect the amplitude of a current in a circuit?

The amplitude of a current in a circuit can be affected by several factors, including the voltage source, the resistance of the circuit, and the frequency of the current. Additionally, the type of material the circuit is made of can also impact the amplitude of the current.