Electrochemistry Exercise: Normal Potential of a Reaction

In summary, electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that studies the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. The normal potential of a reaction is a measure of the tendency of a reaction to occur spontaneously and is determined by comparing the potential difference between a standard hydrogen electrode and the electrode of interest. Factors such as temperature, concentration, and electrode and electrolyte nature can affect the normal potential, which provides important information about the thermodynamics, direction, spontaneity, and reactivity of a chemical reaction.
D_Tr

Homework Statement

Calculate the normal potential at 25 °C for the reaction:

HA(aq) + e- → A-(aq) + 1/2H2(g)

if the dissociation constant of HA is equal to 3.3*10-4

Homework Equations

ΔG° = -RTlnK ⇔ -ΔG°/nF = RT/(nF)lnK ⇔ E° = RT/(nF)lnK

The Attempt at a Solution

Just plugging in the numbers gives the answer E°=-0.206V
However, the answer key of the textbook disagrees on the sign... Am I overlooking something or is it just a typo? I can't imagine what my mistake could be...

Physics news on Phys.org
Typo for me. But I am known to be occasionally wrong.

Related to Electrochemistry Exercise: Normal Potential of a Reaction

What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It involves the use of electrical energy to drive non-spontaneous chemical reactions or to measure the rate of spontaneous reactions.

What is the normal potential of a reaction?

The normal potential of a reaction is the measure of the tendency of a chemical reaction to occur spontaneously. It is also known as standard electrode potential and is measured in volts (V).

How is the normal potential of a reaction determined?

The normal potential of a reaction is determined by measuring the potential difference between a standard hydrogen electrode and the electrode of interest under standard conditions (25°C, 1 atm pressure, 1M concentration). The standard hydrogen electrode is assigned a normal potential of 0V and all other electrode potentials are compared to it.

What factors affect the normal potential of a reaction?

The normal potential of a reaction is affected by several factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants and products, and the nature of the electrodes and electrolyte. Changes in these factors can alter the normal potential and affect the spontaneity of the reaction.

What is the significance of the normal potential of a reaction?

The normal potential of a reaction provides important information about the thermodynamics of a chemical reaction. It can be used to predict the direction and spontaneity of a reaction, as well as the amount of electrical energy that can be obtained from it. It is also useful in understanding the reactivity and stability of different substances.