(Electro)magnetic properties of mylar? If you wrap a laptop in mylar

In summary, mylar is an insulator coated with metal and can be used to wrap a laptop for insulation from radio signals. However, it is unlikely to affect the computer or its hard drive due to its loose and airy wrapping. This has been tested by others on different forums.
syntotic
Mylar is an insulator, but it is coated with metal. Intuitively it should be possible to wrap a laptop in mylar and insulate the laptop from radio signals... but is there any chance it might affect magnetically the computer and/or its hard drive? I mean a very loose airy wrapping, like in packaging, not a tight wrapping like in gift boxes. After all, we do have capacitors made of mylar...

[Incidentally, I did wrap the laptop in mylar for a while after a wi fi-induced BSOD, and I had briefly (?) the impression that it went lighter! But of course it was subjective...]

Danilo J Bonsignore

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the only physics forum in The Web? HOPE NOT...

There's no need to be snide. Threads sometimes fall through the cracks without being answered.

I doubt the mylar would have any effect on your computer's hard drive since it isn't magnetized.

Related to (Electro)magnetic properties of mylar? If you wrap a laptop in mylar

1. What are the (electro)magnetic properties of mylar?

Mylar is a type of polyester film that exhibits both electrical and magnetic properties. It is a good insulator and is commonly used as a dielectric material in capacitors. It also has low magnetic permeability, making it suitable for shielding against electromagnetic interference.

2. Can mylar be used to shield a laptop from electromagnetic interference?

Yes, mylar can be used to shield a laptop from electromagnetic interference. It is commonly used as a lining material in laptop bags and cases to protect electronic devices from external electromagnetic fields.

3. How does mylar protect against electromagnetic radiation?

Mylar is a non-conductive material, meaning it does not conduct electricity. This property allows it to act as a barrier against electromagnetic radiation. It reflects and absorbs the energy from electromagnetic waves, preventing them from passing through and potentially damaging electronic devices.

4. Can wrapping a laptop in mylar improve its performance?

Wrapping a laptop in mylar may improve its performance by reducing the effects of electromagnetic interference. This interference can cause disruptions in the laptop's electronic components, leading to slower processing speeds and potential malfunctions. Using mylar as a shield can help improve the overall performance and longevity of the laptop.

5. Is mylar safe to use for electronic devices?

Yes, mylar is generally considered safe to use for electronic devices. It is a non-toxic material and is commonly used in food packaging. However, it is important to ensure that the mylar used is of high quality and does not contain any metallic layers that could potentially cause damage to electronic components.

Back