Electricity Rates in India: Single and Three Phase Lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the different types of electrical connections in India and their corresponding rates. The rates for both single phase and three phase are the same, even though three phase has 3 wires and single phase has 2 wires. This is because both provide the same voltage and power, but three phase splits it into three wires that are out of phase. The conversation also delves into the difference between electromagnetic and static electricity meters, with the latter being more efficient and accurate due to the use of digital electronics.
rahulkhajuria
I live in India . I have Three Phase Line in my Home & Single Phase Line in Office . However the rates for both Single Phase & Three Phase are the same ( Rs.2.70/unit for first 50 units , Rs. 3/unit for next 50 , Rs. 3.60/unit for next 100 , Rs. 4.20/unit for next 100 & Rs.4.70/unit thereafter ) . How is this possible ?Maybe some Electrical student can explain to me . I am from Commerce Background but from what I understand from Internet , Three Phase has 3 wires & Single Phase has 2 wires . Somehow , shouldn't Single phase be costing less per unit ? Please Elaborate .

Also what is difference between an ElectroMagnetic Electricity Meter & a Static Electricity Meter ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi rahulkhajuria! Welcome to PF! :smile:
rahulkhajuria said:
… Three Phase has 3 wires & Single Phase has 2 wires . Somehow , shouldn't Single phase be costing less per unit ?

No, because they send you the same votlage, and the same power, but they split it into three wires that are out of phase.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power" for details. :wink:
Also what is difference between an ElectroMagnetic Electricity Meter & a Static Electricity Meter ?

Sorry, don't know. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
most 3-phase services use 4 wires : A, B, C, plus a grounded neutral
most 1-phase services use 3 wires : L1, L2, plus a centre-tap grounded neutral

electricity meters measure the total electrical energy, usually displayed in kWh

older electricity meters were electroc-mechanical, and used an eddy-current motor to spin a disc (rotor) linked via gears to a set of indicator dials. Different meters (3ph vs 1ph) have different coil arrangements, but the end result is total kWh

newer electricity meters utilize digital electronics and eliminate the error due to mechanical friction & inertia that increases over time.

http://www.archive.org/details/electricalmeter00assogoog"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electricity Rates in India: Single and Three Phase Lines

1. What is the difference between single phase and three phase electricity lines in India?

Single phase electricity lines in India have two wires, one positive and one negative, while three phase electricity lines have three wires, each carrying a different phase of electricity. This allows three phase lines to distribute electricity more efficiently and handle larger loads compared to single phase lines.

2. How are electricity rates determined in India for single and three phase lines?

The electricity rates in India for both single and three phase lines are determined by the state electricity regulatory commission. These rates take into account factors such as the cost of generation, transmission, and distribution, as well as the operational and maintenance costs.

3. Are the electricity rates different for single and three phase lines in India?

Yes, the electricity rates for single and three phase lines in India are different. Generally, three phase lines have higher rates compared to single phase lines due to their higher efficiency and capacity to handle larger loads.

4. Can a consumer choose between single and three phase electricity lines in India?

In most cases, consumers do not have the option to choose between single and three phase electricity lines. The type of line provided is determined by the electricity distribution company based on the electrical load requirements of the consumer's location.

5. How can I reduce my electricity bill for single or three phase lines in India?

There are a few ways to reduce your electricity bill for both single and three phase lines in India. These include using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and implementing energy-saving practices such as using natural light during the day and reducing air conditioning usage.