Electricity doesn't move at the speed of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that electricity moves at the speed of light. It is clarified that while changes in electric and magnetic fields propagate at or below the speed of light, the actual movement of electrons is much slower. The movement of electrons is compared to sound waves and the analogy of marbles in a straw is used to explain the concept. It is also mentioned that there are experiments that can demonstrate the drift velocity of electrons.
Ok, ok... calm down people...

Physics news on Phys.org
Who said I wasn't calm?

- Warren

Hey, guys let's not be so hard one electronics technicians. I are one!

My Navy training from 32 years ago taught about electron drift, and how the actual electron speed was way slow in comparison with the signal speed.

The whole Electron drift idea lived among tech as an expression for someone who was so lost in is thoughts that he might bump into a wall or generly appear to be wandering aimlessly, we called this type (not to uncommon amoung techs after 6 months at sea) DRIFTY, as electron drifts though a conductor, bumbing into things pretty much wandering, but with a general drift.

I also ran into this type of person during my years at a University Physics department.

Originally posted by Integral
My Navy training from 32 years ago...
Navy??! I knew I smelled something funny.

I got out last year.

Anyway as far as that site goes, an expert in electrical codes really should know the terminology, but the physics behind the actual motion of electrons isn't something he would have to work with and he probably forgot. Its not a big deal, but its not the place to find out about the mechanism behind the flow of electricity.

In any case, Cyberice and Danny, set chroot's crass manner aside and listen to what he has to say. If nothing else, we've established already that there were some misconceptions at work here - ie, the "instantaneous" thing.

I have listened to what he has to say, and really he sounds very ignorant. There is nothing wrong with the webpage I provided--if you really want to bash it please provide another that says what you are trying to get us all to believe.

You can sit there and argue all you want, but sooner or later you will need to back your arguments up which to say the least has been very limited.

So please go ahead and start typing away on how bad I am or that webpage because really it's very entertaining.

Before I forget, you said "not an authority on physics". Hmm and you are? If that's what you believe then please back that statement with something proving your point. All you do is talk; I at least show examples and references.

I have listened to what he has to say, and really he sounds very ignorant.
I'm ignorant? Why? Because I'm saying something you don't agree with? Are you joking?
There is nothing wrong with the webpage I provided--if you really want to bash it please provide another that says what you are trying to get us all to believe.
The webpage you provided is incorrect. As far as references that agree with me: open up an introductory physics textbook -- ANY introductory physics textbook. How about Halliday & Resnick for a start?

Or look here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

In fact, as best I can tell, every website in existence that talks about the microscopic mechanism of electrical conduction agrees with me, EXCEPT the one you provided! Guess what that means?

And what's this "all of us" crap? The only person here who believes your bull**** is YOU. Everyone else understands reality. You're the only one saying I'm wrong, bucko.
Before I forget, you said "not an authority on physics". Hmm and you are? If that's what you believe then please back that statement with something proving your point. All you do is talk; I at least show examples and references.
I'm working on my doctorate in physics at the University of California, Santa Cruz. How about you?

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think either of your egos could possibly get any bigger.

May I suggest that you people listen to chroot and
kindly stop this waste of perfectly fine laser energy
used to burn this thread on PF's server hard drives (which
do cost money)...:wink:

Whoa! PF's hard drives use lasers?? I wonder how fast the electrons move through the laser beam.

:wink:

- Warren

This topic has concluded