Electricity and Magnetism: Verifying the Inverse Square Law

giodude
Hello,

I'm currently working through Purcell and Morin, Electricity and Magnetism textbook and came across a problem in which the goal is to verify the inverse square law. I'm worked through and completed the problem. However, I'm confused how this verifies the inverse square law, I'm posting the images of the solution below.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attached files are not in .pdf format.
How were they produced ?

I took images of them on my phone and then airdropped them to my laptop, I'll fix them up when I get back to my laptop and edit the post. Thank you.

I've here the 3rd edition, where it seems that the authors try to derive the Coulomb field of a static point charge. As to be expected from this book, it's all buried in some strange pedagogics, making the problem more complicated than it is.

The idea is simply to use the spherical symmetry of the problem. So let the point charge, ##Q##, sit at rest in the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system. We want to calculate ##\vec{E}(\vec{r})## at any position ##\vec{r} \neq \vec{0}##, because at the origin we have obviously a singularity, which is characteristic for the assumption of a "point charge" in classical field theory.

Mathematically the problem is simple because of spherical symmetry. There's no other vector in the problem than ##\vec{r}##, because no direction is in any way special except the direction of the position vector itself. Thus you can make the Ansatz
$$\vec{E} = E_r \vec{e}_r,$$
where ##\vec{e}_r=\vec{r}/r##. The "radial component" ##E_r## can only depend on ##r=|\vec{r}|##, again due to the spherical symmetry.

Now you simply use Gauss's Law in integral form
$$\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{E}=Q_V/\epsilon_0.$$
It's obvious, again because of the spherical symmetry, to choose a spherical shell of radius ##r## around the origin for ##\partial V##. The surface-normal vectors are ##\vec{e}_r## and thus with our ansatz for ##\vec{E}##
$$E_r (r) 4 \ pi r^2=Q/\epsilon_0 \; \Rightarrow \; E_r(r)=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}.$$
That's it! It's simply spherical symmetry and Gauss's Law!

1. How can the inverse square law be verified in relation to electricity and magnetism?

One common method to verify the inverse square law in electricity and magnetism is to measure the strength of the electric or magnetic field at various distances from the source and then plot these values on a graph. If the relationship between the field strength and distance follows a curve that decreases proportionally to the square of the distance, then the inverse square law is confirmed.

2. What are the implications of the inverse square law in electricity and magnetism?

The inverse square law states that the strength of an electric or magnetic field decreases exponentially as the distance from the source increases. This has important implications in various aspects of physics, such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves, the force between charged particles, and the design of electrical circuits and devices.

3. How does the inverse square law affect the behavior of charged particles?

The inverse square law dictates that the force between charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged particles decreases, the force between them increases significantly. This relationship plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can the inverse square law be applied to other physical phenomena beyond electricity and magnetism?

Yes, the inverse square law is a fundamental principle in physics that applies to various phenomena beyond electricity and magnetism. For example, it is also used to describe the gravitational force between two masses, the intensity of light radiation from a point source, and the spread of sound waves in a medium.

5. How does the inverse square law impact the design of electrical systems and devices?

Understanding the inverse square law is crucial in the design of electrical systems and devices to ensure proper functioning and efficiency. Engineers use this principle to calculate the optimal distance between components, determine the strength of electromagnetic fields, and minimize interference between electrical circuits, ultimately leading to the development of safer and more reliable technologies.