Electricity and magnetism (magnitude of magnetic field)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field inside a 1000-turn toroidal solenoid with a central radius of 4.2 cm and a current of 1.7 A. The formula B=(μ0)(I)/(2∏)(r) is used to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field, and it is suggested that the magnetic fields from each loop add together. The conversation also mentions using hyperphysics pages to further understand magnetic fields and the superposition principle.
swankymotor16
A 1000-turn toroidal solenoid has a central radius of 4.2 cm and is carrying a current of 1.7 A. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the solenoid at the central radius? (μ0=4∏×10^-7 T ∙ m/A) r= 4.2cm= 0.042m

B=(μ0)(I)/(2∏)(r) ⇔ (4∏×10^-7)(1.7)/(2∏)(0.042) ⇔ 1.43x10^-8 T? Or does the 1000-turn toroidal affects in the magnetic field in some sort of a way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you expect a long coil of wire to have a different field to a single loop?
What would you expect for the field due to two loops of current?

yes. But, how different will be? Is there a formula for it?

Don't go by formulas, use your understanding of how magnetic fields work - if one loop had a field of B, and you added another one the same, what do you think would happen to the field?

that's the problem! I don't know how magnetic fields work! I have a bad teacher, and I'm running out of time! Another source told me that there's no current in the center, and by Ampere's Law the current in the center is zero. is this true?

that's great! I was missing the N, the 1000 turns. thank you!

That's cool ... the lesson here is that electric and magnetic fields add together. This is called "the superposition principle". Make sure you work through the hyperphysics pages to bring you up to speed.

Related to Electricity and magnetism (magnitude of magnetic field)

1. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism is known as electromagnetism. This means that electric currents can produce magnetic fields, and moving magnets can produce electric currents. This relationship was first discovered by scientist Hans Christian Oersted in 1820.

2. What is the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is a measure of the strength of the field at a specific point. It is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). The strength of a magnetic field can vary depending on factors such as the distance from the source and the strength of the current or magnet.

3. How is the magnitude of a magnetic field calculated?

The magnitude of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀I/(2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the source. This formula is known as the Biot-Savart law.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the current or magnet, the distance from the source, and the materials present in the field. Magnetic fields can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How is the magnitude of a magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of a magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument uses sensors to detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. Other methods of measurement include using a compass or calculating the field strength using the Biot-Savart law.