Electrical vs. Computer engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between pursuing a degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering. The main concern is whether to choose a more specialized degree in computer engineering or a broader one in electrical engineering that could lead to more opportunities. The recommendation is to consider the course requirements for each degree and choose based on personal interests and career goals. It is suggested that those interested in working in the computer industry should go for computer engineering, while those unsure of their career path should opt for electrical engineering for a wider range of options.
sps37
So I got accepted into engineering, which is just general engineering first year. However the university has asked me for my preferred discipline now, and I was about to put computer engineering. The thing is, i heard that taking electrical engineering as an undergrad degree is a better option because i can decide to do masters in computer later on. On the other hand, doing an undergraduate degree in computer engineering would be cool but it feels too specialized for me.

Basically what I'm saying is that electrical engineering seems like it opens much more opportunities, while computer engineering is more "restricted".

So any advice? thanks in advance :)

Also: could you possibly list some advantages to both degrees, basically a comparison. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first 2 years the curricula will probably be very similar. You'll also probably be able to switch your major between the two of them quite easily. Why don't you look through the suggested course of study or sample degree track and see what classes look more interesting to you?

id say go for EE

Could you possibly tell me why you think i should go EE? Thanks for answering.

fss said:
For the first 2 years the curricula will probably be very similar. You'll also probably be able to switch your major between the two of them quite easily. Why don't you look through the suggested course of study or sample degree track and see what classes look more interesting to you?

+1

You should definitely look at at the course requirements for each degree and compare them. I know at my university the only difference is that Computer Engineers take more programming courses, like operating system programming, where EE's take many courses in various fields, computers, control, communications, E&M, etc...

I'm an EE so I'm kind of biased to say do an EE. Unless your 100% sure you want to get into the computer industry, then your best bet is to go CE.
If you do EE then you can learn the basics of many fields and have more options when you go out into industry and try to get a job.

So in short:
You know you want to be a working in the computer industry: Go CE
You have no idea where you want to go for sure: Go EE

Related to Electrical vs. Computer engineering

1. What is the main difference between electrical and computer engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics, while computer engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of computer systems and hardware components.

2. Can an electrical engineer work as a computer engineer and vice versa?

Yes, there is overlap between the two fields and many engineers may have knowledge and skills in both areas. However, they may have different job titles and responsibilities based on their specific background and expertise.

3. Which field has better career prospects?

Both electrical and computer engineering have excellent career opportunities, and it ultimately depends on an individual's interests and strengths. Electrical engineers may have more opportunities in power and energy industries, while computer engineers may have more opportunities in technology and software industries.

4. Are the educational requirements different for electrical and computer engineering?

Both fields typically require a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. However, the specific courses and focus areas may differ between programs. Some universities may offer a combined electrical and computer engineering degree program.

5. Is it possible to specialize in both electrical and computer engineering?

Yes, some engineers may choose to specialize in both fields through further education or on-the-job training. This can be beneficial for those interested in working on projects that require knowledge and skills from both disciplines.