Electrical Power Engineering Studying

In summary, the student is looking for advice on what to do next after completing their undergraduate degree in Finnish University of Applied Science. They don't know what they want to do and are desperate for advice.
QuangNguyen
Hello everyone from PhysicsForums,
At the moment, I'm nearly 90% of my first year completion in Finnish University of Applied Science. During my first year, I have acquired some basic knowledges about circuit analysis, Labview and MATLAB programming, basic mathematics and physics. For the next three years my curricula will be messy as they are seemed like I will study everything but only scratching the surface; as a result, I am very concerned about my major in the future.
As you can see, I want to focus on Electrical Power Engineering, especially on renewable energies and fusion energy, also new ways of distributing electricity (orthodox or unorthodox). Because of my curricula as I mentioned above, I don't know what I need to begin with, what knowledges I need to know and to what extend of them I need to reach.
Therefore, I would like to ask for your advice relating to this matter. I am really desperate for your help.
My sincerest appreciation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuangNguyen said:
Hello everyone from PhysicsForums,
At the moment, I'm nearly 90% of my first year completion in Finnish University of Applied Science. During my first year, I have acquired some basic knowledges about circuit analysis, Labview and MATLAB programming, basic mathematics and physics. For the next three years my curricula will be messy as they are seemed like I will study everything but only scratching the surface; as a result, I am very concerned about my major in the future.
As you can see, I want to focus on Electrical Power Engineering, especially on renewable energies and fusion energy, also new ways of distributing electricity (orthodox or unorthodox). Because of my curricula as I mentioned above, I don't know what I need to begin with, what knowledges I need to know and to what extend of them I need to reach.
Therefore, I would like to ask for your advice relating to this matter. I am really desperate for your help.
My sincerest appreciation.

Ahhh, the joys of MATLAB and labview.

Most undergraduate studies have breadth, but lack depth. They're purposely set up this way, as generally you become specialized in graduate school. For fusion, look online for material relating to the tokamak. For solar, you can look into the molten salt plants they're building, as well as the aussie group that's working on increasing efficiency of standard solar panels.

For power distribution, nothing comes to mind. Basically, you're going to have to supplement your education to gain depth in an area.

Thank you for your advice.

Related to Electrical Power Engineering Studying

1. What is electrical power engineering?

Electrical power engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power. It involves designing and maintaining electrical systems, such as power plants, power grids, and electrical equipment.

2. What are the key concepts studied in electrical power engineering?

Some key concepts studied in electrical power engineering include circuit analysis, electromagnetism, power generation and distribution, control systems, and renewable energy technologies.

3. What skills are required to be successful in studying electrical power engineering?

To be successful in studying electrical power engineering, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

4. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a degree in electrical power engineering?

Graduates with a degree in electrical power engineering have a wide range of career opportunities. They can work in power generation companies, utility companies, consulting firms, and government agencies. They can also pursue careers in research and development, renewable energy, and telecommunications.

5. How does studying electrical power engineering contribute to society?

Studying electrical power engineering is crucial in meeting the growing demand for electricity and ensuring reliable and sustainable power supply. It also plays a significant role in developing new technologies and solutions for renewable energy sources, contributing to a more sustainable future for society.