Electrical Power - Cost of kW*hr

In summary, for the month of July, the electric air conditioning unit will cost $100.78 if the local electrical rate is 9.9 c/kWh, drawing 15 amps of direct current from a 134 V direct voltage source and being used for 24 hours a day during 21.1 days.
calvert11

Homework Statement

An electric air conditioning unit draws 15 amps of direct current from a 134 V direct voltage source, and is used 24 hours a day during 21.1 days in July. How much will the electricity cost for the month if the local electrical rate is
9.9 /kW· hr?

Answer in units of dollars.
(Note: sigfigs do not matter)

Homework Equations

P = I*[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a straight forward question:

P = 15*134 = 2010 W = 2.01 kW
t = 21.1 days * 24 hours = 506.4 hours

P*t = 1017.864 kW*hr

Since units aren't given for 9.9, I tried for both dollars and cents:
1017.864* 9.9 = $10076.85
1017.864*.099 = $100.785

Both answers are wrong. I don't know where I'm making the mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 9.9 is c/kwh, other than that you are correct, except for the slight typo on the last answer

Looks like you might have made an arithmetic error when calculating in cents.

1017.864*0.099 = 100.768

Your last answer is correct. They want the answer of dolllars, with no cents. That's why they had such strange numbers (like 21.1 days).

berkeman said:
Your last answer is correct. They want the answer of dolllars, with no cents. That's why they had such strange numbers (like 21.1 days).
Thank you so much. Removing cents gives the right answer.

Related to Electrical Power - Cost of kW*hr

1. What is the cost of a kW*hr of electrical power?

The cost of a kW*hr of electrical power varies depending on several factors such as location, time of day, and the type of energy source. On average, the cost ranges from $0.10 to $0.20 per kW*hr.

2. How is the cost of a kW*hr determined?

The cost of a kW*hr is determined by the price of the energy source (e.g. coal, natural gas, renewable energy), the cost of production, and the cost of transmission and distribution. Taxes and fees may also contribute to the overall cost.

3. Why does the cost of a kW*hr vary by location?

The cost of a kW*hr can vary by location due to differences in energy sources and production methods. For example, areas with access to renewable energy sources may have lower costs compared to areas that rely on non-renewable sources. Additionally, the cost of transmission and distribution can also vary by location.

4. What is the impact of time of day on the cost of a kW*hr?

The cost of a kW*hr can be affected by time of day due to demand for electricity. During peak hours when demand is high, the cost of a kW*hr may be higher compared to off-peak hours when demand is lower. This is known as time-of-use pricing.

5. How can I reduce the cost of my electric bill?

There are several ways to reduce the cost of your electric bill, including using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using renewable energy sources. You can also consider switching to a different energy provider or plan that offers lower rates. Additionally, making home improvements such as adding insulation or installing solar panels can also help reduce your overall electricity usage and cost.