Electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electrical potential for a point charge placed in the center of a conducting spherical shell. The potential is calculated for three different regions and a sketch is provided. There is a discussion about the assumptions and boundaries of the calculations, leading to a final corrected equation for the potential. The conversation ends with confirmation of the correctness of the results.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I would like to clear up some doubts I have about my electromagnetism homework:

A positive point charge ##q## is placed in the center of an ideal conducting electrically neutral spherical shell, as shown in the attached picture.
a) Calculate the electrical potential ##\phi(\vec{r})## in all locations, that is ## r < a ##, ##a < r < b## and ##r > b##.
b) Sketch the result.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law, equation for electrical potential

The Attempt at a Solution

First I have been attaching a second picture showing how I understand the situation. I think the point charge at the center attracts at the inner border of the shell its negative equivalent of charge and repelling the same amount of positive charge to the outer border. Is that a correct assumption? If yes, I assume there is an electric field going from the point charge ##q## towards the inner border of the shell and from the outer border of the shell outwards (as indicated in the picture).
Now for the math:

- For the case ## r_1 < a ## :
##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{q}{\varepsilon_0}##
##\iff E \int dA = \frac{q}{\varepsilon_0}##
## 4 E \pi r_1^2 = \frac{q}{\varepsilon_0}##
## E = k \frac{q}{r_1^2}##
##\implies \phi (\vec{r}) = - \int_{\infty}^{r_1} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{s}##
## = kq \int_{\infty}^{r_1} \frac{-1}{r^2} ds##
## = \frac{kq}{r_1}##

Is that correct? I'm not sure about the boundaries of my integral, since the path goes through the shell then.

I will wait for an answer before posting the two other results :)

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!Julien.

Attachments

• Photo 16-05-16 14 20 06.jpeg
    Photo 16-05-16 14 20 06.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 513
  • Photo 16-05-16 14 10 23.jpg
    Photo 16-05-16 14 10 23.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:
First I have been attaching a second picture showing how I understand the situation. I think the point charge at the center attracts at the inner border of the shell its negative equivalent of charge and repelling the same amount of positive charge to the outer border. Is that a correct assumption? If yes, I assume there is an electric field going from the point charge qq towards the inner border of the shell and from the outer border of the shell outwards (as indicated in the picture).
Correct.
JulienB said:
Is that correct? I'm not sure about the boundaries of my integral, since the path goes through the shell then.
... where the electric field is different.
While the result is not directly wrong (the calculation is), using it would lead to a non-zero potential at infinity. Usually the potential is chosen to be zero at infinity. To fix that (later), you can add a constant to the potential, or start from the outside.

Likes JulienB
@mfb Thanks for your answer, that is what I was fearing. I could also start by calculating the potential for ##r < b##, then ##a < r < b## and use those results with ##b## and ##a## instead of ##r## and add up the integrals? Like that:

##\phi(\vec{r}) = - (\int_{\infty}^{b} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} + \int_{b}^{a} \vec{E_2} d\vec{s} + \int_{a}^{r_1} \vec{E_1} d\vec{s})##

That should work, right?Julien.

@mfb Thanks a lot for your answer :) Then I publish my results starting from ##r_3## (for the case ##r > b##):

##\oint \vec{E_3} d\vec{A} = \frac{q}{\varepsilon_0}##
##\implies E_3 = k \frac{q}{r_3^2}##

##\implies \phi(\vec{r}) = - \int_{\infty}^{r_3} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} = kq \int_{\infty}^{r_3} \frac{-1}{r^2} d\vec{s} = k \frac{q}{r_3}##

Then for the case ##a < r_2 < b##:

I would say ##E_2 = 0## because the negative charge of the inner surface of the conductive shell corresponds to the positive charge of the point mass at the center.

##\implies \phi(\vec{r}) = -\int_{\infty}^{b} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} - \int_{b}^{r_2} \vec{E_2} d\vec{s} = k \frac{q}{b} - 0##

And finally for ##r_1 < a##:

##E = k \frac{q}{r_1^2}##

##\implies \phi(\vec{r}) = - \int_{\infty}^{b} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} - \int_{b}^{a} \vec{E_2} d\vec{s} - \int_{a}^{r_1} \vec{E_1} d\vec{s}##
## = k \frac{q}{b + r_1}##

Does that make sense? Thanks a lot for all your help!Julien.

The last term is wrong, everything up to that is fine.

Likes JulienB
@mfb oops yeah I tried to go too fast. Of course it is:

##\phi(\vec{r}) = k q (\frac{1}{b} + \frac{1}{r_1})##

Thanks a lot.

Julien.

Last edited:
JulienB said:
And finally for ##r_1 < a##:

##E = k \frac{q}{r_1^2}##

##\implies \phi(\vec{r}) = - \int_{\infty}^{b} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} - \int_{b}^{a} \vec{E_2} d\vec{s} - \int_{a}^{r_1} \vec{E_1} d\vec{s}##
## = k \frac{q}{b + r_1}##

Does that make sense? Thanks a lot for all your help!Julien.
You can check the potential at r1=a. It should be the same as at r=b, Φ(b) = Φ(a) = kq/b.

Likes JulienB
@ehild Thanks for your answer! Mm that's interesting, especially since it doesn't seem to work in my case:

##\phi(\vec{r} = \vec{a}) = kq ( \frac{1}{b} + \frac{1}{a})## if I take my last corrected equation

##\phi(\vec{r} = \vec{a}) = k \frac{q}{b}## with the equation for the potential in between the radii.

Oh I did a big mistake in my last integral:

##\phi(\vec{r}) = -\int_{\infty}^{b} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} -\int_{b}^{a} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} - \int_{a}^{r_1} \vec{E_3} d\vec{s} = k \frac{q}{b} + kq \int_{a}^{r_1} \frac{- 1}{r^2} d\vec{s}##
## = k \frac{q}{b} + kq (\frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{1}{a})##

And then your method of checking the result works! Great!Julien.

Likes mfb
It is correct now. :oldsmile:

Likes JulienB
Great, thanks a lot everybody!Julien.

Related to Electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell

1. What is the formula for calculating the electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell?

The formula for calculating the electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell is V = kQ/R, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the total charge on the shell, and R is the radius of the shell.

2. How does the distance from the center of the shell affect the electrical potential?

The electrical potential is directly proportional to the distance from the center of the shell. This means that the potential decreases as the distance increases, following an inverse square law.

3. Can the electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell be negative?

Yes, the electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell can be negative. This occurs when the charge on the shell is negative, or when the potential is measured at a point inside the shell. The potential is always zero at the surface of the shell.

4. How does the charge distribution on the shell affect the electrical potential?

The charge distribution on the shell does not affect the electrical potential as long as the total charge remains the same. This means that the potential is the same at any point on the surface of the shell, regardless of the distribution of the charge.

5. What is the significance of the electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell?

The electrical potential of a conducting spherical shell is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges in a spherical system. It can also be used to calculate the work done in bringing a test charge from infinity to a point inside or outside the shell.