Electrical Potential - Difference, Field

In summary, Electric potentials are different at two points and this creates a potential difference. This potential difference is represented by "V" in both of my textbooks. Electric potentials in a field are due to a relation between the two points and are also denoted by "V".
Hunt4Higgs
Yet another quick one I bet one of you will be able to explain in twenty seconds.

Going over Electric on my own and I've come across the basics of Potential Difference, when looking at it between points (not in a field) it is defined as electric potentials being different at two points creates a potential difference which allows the flow from one point to the other. Potential difference is represented by "V" in both of my textbooks (I know it is U in other places).

Now skipping ahead slightly and I meet Electric Potential in a field. Also denoted by "V". Is this due to a relation between the two?
Is it as simple as Potential Difference is a change in Electrical Potential between the two points (a difference of V between the two points?), so you "could" say it as V2 - V1? Hence why they are both called V?

As a similar point, are the equations for the types of P.d different due to looking at different "systems", i.e. when the equation V=IR is used, this is because you are looking at a conductor which will have a voltage drop associated with it?
Whereas when you are looking at an electrical field, the equation V=Q/4∏εr is used because...?

Cheers guys/girls. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Higgs, what are you doing here? You should be at CERN right now :smile:. You said:
Is it as simple as Potential Difference is a change in Electrical Potential between the two points (a difference of V between the two points?), so you "could" say it as V2 - V1? Hence why they are both called V?

You are correct/on the right path. The sometimes sloppy use of variable names add to the confusion.

U = ΔV = Voltage = Potential Difference
V = Electrical Potential

Both are measured in Volts. In electrical engineering the voltage U is usually understood as the potential difference between let's say the potential V1 and a defined ground (let's say V2=0 Volt). If so, U = V1, since U = V1 - V2 = V1 - 0 = V1. Thus, obviously U≠V1 if the ground V2≠0.

You can make a pretty similar comparison with distance and position. U (voltage) is similar to distance, and V (potential) is similar to position. To measure a distance, you need two positions.

Considering the equation V=IR, I prefer U=IR as U means voltage here. ΔV = IR is fine too.

Related to Electrical Potential - Difference, Field

What is electrical potential difference?

Electrical potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that drives electric current.

How is electrical potential difference calculated?

The electrical potential difference between two points can be calculated by dividing the work done by the charge moving between those points by the amount of charge. It can also be calculated by multiplying the strength of the electric field by the distance between the two points.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electric charges experience a force. It is created by the presence of charged particles and can be represented by electric field lines.

What is the relationship between electric potential difference and electric field?

Electric potential difference is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that the greater the electric field, the greater the potential difference between two points in the field.

How does electrical potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

The greater the potential difference, the greater the force driving electric charges to move. This means that a higher potential difference results in a higher current flow. However, other factors such as resistance also play a role in the flow of electric current.