Electrical Potential Difference between parallel plates

In summary, the electric potential difference between two parallel plates is 3.50x10^3 V. If a single electron increases its electric potential by moving a distance of 0.100 m, the electron had to move toward the:A. positive plate through a potential difference of 1.40x10^3 VB. positive plate through a potential difference of 3.50x10^3 VC. negative plate through a potential difference of 1.40x10^3 VD. negative plate through a potential difference of 3.50x10^3 V
flak-spammer
Alright before I ask the question I'm going to be pretty blunt, I'm not very good at physics at all. I have a great interest and desire to learn physics but it just isn't very easy for me so explanations are going to have to be pretty detailed and even then I still might not get them.

Homework Statement

The electrical potential differences between two parallel plates is 3.50x10^3 V. If a single electron increases its electric potential by moving a distance of 0.100 m, the electron had to move toward the:
A. positive plate through a potential difference of 1.40x10^3 V
B. positive plate through a potential difference of 3.50x10^3 V
C. negative plate through a potential difference of 1.40x10^3 V
D. negative plate through a potential difference of 3.50x10^3 V

Homework Equations

W=F(d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start as I don't know how to relate the potential difference to a single charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see whether it moved toward the positive or negative plate?

I would assume that because it was a positive charge that it would move towards the negative plate since opposites attract.
Edit: Oops obviously I was feeling dyslexic I meant because it was a negative charge it would go to the positive plate.

Last edited:
flak-spammer said:
I would assume that because it was a positive charge that it would move towards the negative plate since opposites attract.
Edit: Oops obviously I was feeling dyslexic I meant because it was a negative charge it would go to the positive plate.

If the negative charge moved toward the positive plate, it would experience a decrease in potential energy, as it would be going "with the flow". However, the text says that the charge experiences an increase in potential energy.
Think of a ball in a gravitational field near the Earth's surface. If you let the ball go, it falls with the field, losing potential energy and gaining kinetic energy. when you raise the ball up, you are doing work on the ball to increase its potential energy. It now has more "potential" to do work (by falling with the field again).
In this problem, the fact that the particle experiences an increase in electric potential means something is pushing the particle "against the flow", specifically against the direction of the acceleration it should experience due to the electric field of the capacitor.
Please check out this page for more examples.

Last edited:
So then the negative charge is migrating to the negative plate? Gaining electrical potential energy?

So I think I got an answer. I did 0.1/0.25 and got .4 and did 3.5x10^3 * 0.4 = 1.4x10^3. If it is moving towards the negative plate (gaining potential energy) then the answer is C (I think).

"So then the negative charge is migrating to the negative plate? Gaining electrical potential energy?"

Yes, that's right. However, to answer the rest of the question, the distance between the plates must be known. Does the question give this?

My bad I forgot to write part of the question. The distance between the two plates was 0.25 m.

flak-spammer said:
So then the negative charge is migrating to the negative plate? Gaining electrical potential energy?

Right. It's being pushed "the wrong way", resisting the pull of the electric field and thus gaining electric potential energy.
Now, potential energy is only meaningful in terms of change in potential energy; ie., a particle doesn't have a canonical amount of potential energy in a field, it only has a difference in potential energy compared to another point it could possibly occupy in the field. That is why potential energy is defined as a difference [itex]E = -\delta U[/itex] or a differential E = -dU. In electrostatics, since the field does not change in time, we shall take the potential energy of the electron to only be a function of its position in the electric field.
Practically, if the plates are large enough, this problem is one-dimensional, as motion parallel to the plate does not change the potential energy of the electron (the equipotentials are parallel to the plates of the capacitor and everywhere normal to the electric field lines. The electron changes potential by punching through these equipotential surfaces). Let's call the negative plate U(n) = 0, because once the electron hits that plate, it's not really going to decrease its potential energy anymore. Then the positive plate inherits a potential energy of U(p) = 3.50x10^3 V by the problem statement.
Now, we know that in a parallel plate capacitor, to a point particle, the field is a constant vector of magnitude E0 pointing from the positive plate to the negative plate, which means the potential energy is simply U(x) = E0x where x is the distance from the negative plate.
However, without the distance between the plates or at least one more piece of information, I don't think you can work out the change in potential the electron passed through to travel 0.1 m.

Related to Electrical Potential Difference between parallel plates

1. What is the definition of electrical potential difference between parallel plates?

The electrical potential difference between parallel plates is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points on the surface of the plates. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the electrical potential difference between parallel plates calculated?

The electrical potential difference between parallel plates is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit positive charge from one plate to the other by the magnitude of the charge. It can also be calculated using the equation V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the electrical potential difference between parallel plates?

The electrical potential difference between parallel plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the magnitude of the charges on the plates, and the material of the plates. Additionally, the presence of any other charges or objects in the vicinity can also affect the potential difference.

4. How does the electrical potential difference between parallel plates relate to electric potential energy?

The electrical potential difference between parallel plates is directly related to electric potential energy. As the potential difference increases, the electric potential energy also increases. This means that more work is required to move a charge between the plates, resulting in a higher potential difference.

5. Can the electrical potential difference between parallel plates be negative?

Yes, the electrical potential difference between parallel plates can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the movement of the charge. In this case, the charge loses potential energy and the potential difference is negative.