Electrical Potential at point Y between 2 point charges

In summary, given two point charges of +1.5 x 10^-2 C and -2.7 x 10^-5 C, separated by a distance of 0.2m, the electric field at a point 5.0 cm away from the positive charge is 5.4 x 10^10 N/C. The electric potential at the same point is 2.7 x 10^9 V.
BN Joe

Homework Statement

Two charges, one of charge +1.5 x 10^–2 C and the other of charge –2.7 x 10^5 C, are 20.0 cm apart. The positive charge is to the left of the negative charge.
(a)Draw a diagram showing the point charges and label a point Y that is 5.0 cm away from the positive charge, on the line connecting the charge and between the two charges. (Field lines need not be drawn.)
(b)Calculate the electric field at point Y.
(c)Calculate the electric potential at point Y

q1 = 1.5 x 10^-2 C
q2 = -2.7 x 10^-5 C
d = 0.2m
k = 9 x 10^9

Homework Equations

Not sure... possibly
v = kq1 / d

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no issues with parts a and b, but I am not sure of the correct formula to solve part c and the answer I got doesn't seem to make sense.
If it helps the electric field at point y is 5.4 x 10^10 N/C

V = kq1 / d
v1 = (9 x 10^9)(1.5 x 10^-2C) / 0.05m
= 2.7 x 10^9
v2 = (9 x 10^9)(-2.7 x 10^-5C) / 0.15m
= -1.62 x 10^6
Vtotal = v1 + v2
= 2.7 x 10^9 V

Physics news on Phys.org
BN Joe said:

Homework Statement

Two charges, one of charge +1.5 x 10^–2 C and the other of charge –2.7 x 10^5 C, are 20.0 cm apart. The positive charge is to the left of the negative charge.
(a)Draw a diagram showing the point charges and label a point Y that is 5.0 cm away from the positive charge, on the line connecting the charge and between the two charges. (Field lines need not be drawn.)
(b)Calculate the electric field at point Y.
(c)Calculate the electric potential at point Y

q1 = 1.5 x 10^-2 C
q2 = -2.7 x 10^-5 C
d = 0.2m
k = 9 x 10^9

Homework Equations

Not sure... possibly
v = kq1 / d

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no issues with parts a and b, but I am not sure of the correct formula to solve part c and the answer I got doesn't seem to make sense.
If it helps the electric field at point y is 5.4 x 10^10 N/C

V = kq1 / d
v1 = (9 x 10^9)(1.5 x 10^-2C) / 0.05m
= 2.7 x 10^9
v2 = (9 x 10^9)(-2.7 x 10^-5C) / 0.15m
= -1.62 x 10^6
Vtotal = v1 + v2
= 2.7 x 10^9 V

Your calculations look fine.

Related to Electrical Potential at point Y between 2 point charges

1. What is the formula for calculating electrical potential at point Y between 2 point charges?

The formula for calculating electrical potential at point Y between 2 point charges is V = kQ/r, where V is the electrical potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How does the distance between the two charges affect the electrical potential at point Y?

The electrical potential at point Y is inversely proportional to the distance between the two charges. This means that as the distance increases, the electrical potential decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrical potential?

The unit of measurement for electrical potential is volts (V). This unit is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta who invented the first electric battery.

4. Can the electrical potential at point Y be negative?

Yes, the electrical potential at point Y can be negative. This indicates that the point has a negative charge and would experience a repulsive force from the positive charge.

5. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the electrical potential at point Y?

The electrical potential at point Y is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges. This means that as the magnitude of the charges increases, the electrical potential also increases, and vice versa.