Electrical or Computer Engineering for major?

In summary: It's another example of the value of crossing fields.In summary, it is important to consider what you enjoy and are good at when choosing a major. While job prospects may be a factor, it should not be the only criteria. Having a double major or being knowledgeable in multiple fields can also provide better job security and opportunities for bridging technology areas. Ultimately, it is important to choose a major that challenges you and aligns with your interests and strengths.
JCMS
I'm currently a second semester CE student. I have until tomorrow to choose to change for EE without affecting my curriculum. Since I've been 14, I've always wanted to go CE and wasn't really interested in the pure EE topics. When I was doing my Sciences college degree in CEGEP (Quebec system) I discovered an interest in physics that I never thought I had. Almost chose to do a Physics Degree.

Last semester I discovered that I actually kinda like designing circuits and now I love to draw circuits on Altium and we're starting PCBs now... Love to play with my breadboard! The CE degree here is quite low on the hardware side (and the EE quite low on the software side). My main interests right now are Robotics/Intelligent systems, Telecommunications and Embedded Systems.

And EE degree would let me choose whatever I want, and at worst, I can transform this into a double major by doing a certificate of computer science (albeit having 1 more year of study...) while a CE degree would specialize me in Embedded Systems and/or Artificial Intelligence right out of the box.

During the EE degree I feel like I could touch anything, plus I'm in a 5-intern COOP program so I could do my first 2 interns as a programmer which would balance my degree.

I feel like I should be in EE but I can't make myself sure. Everyone's pushing me to stay CE (Counselors because of jobs, my EE cousin, my CE mates etc.).

Is the market that bad for Electrical Engineers? (In East Canada). I do like the CE curriculum better as a whole but all the CEs I see are working as Software Engineers or simple programmers while the EEs are doing what I'd call Computer Engineering.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JCMS said:
I'm currently a second semester CE student. I have until tomorrow to choose to change for EE without affecting my curriculum. Since I've been 14, I've always wanted to go CE and wasn't really interested in the pure EE topics. When I was doing my Sciences college degree in CEGEP (Quebec system) I discovered an interest in physics that I never thought I had. Almost chose to do a Physics Degree.

Last semester I discovered that I actually kinda like designing circuits and now I love to draw circuits on Altium and we're starting PCBs now... Love to play with my breadboard! The CE degree here is quite low on the hardware side (and the EE quite low on the software side). My main interests right now are Robotics/Intelligent systems, Telecommunications and Embedded Systems.

And EE degree would let me choose whatever I want, and at worst, I can transform this into a double major by doing a certificate of computer science (albeit having 1 more year of study...) while a CE degree would specialize me in Embedded Systems and/or Artificial Intelligence right out of the box.

During the EE degree I feel like I could touch anything, plus I'm in a 5-intern COOP program so I could do my first 2 interns as a programmer which would balance my degree.

I feel like I should be in EE but I can't make myself sure. Everyone's pushing me to stay CE (Counselors because of jobs, my EE cousin, my CE mates etc.).

Is the market that bad for Electrical Engineers? (In East Canada). I do like the CE curriculum better as a whole but all the CEs I see are working as Software Engineers or simple programmers while the EEs are doing what I'd call Computer Engineering.

In the grand scheme of things, neither Computer Engineer nor Electrical Engineering are all that different in terms of job prospects. That's the wrong criteria.

Think of the poor little liberal arts majors studying communication or philosophy. Now there is a situation where job prospects should really be affecting your choice of majors. Not engineering vs. engineering. That's a penny-wise, pound-foolish way to look at it. Shame on your counselors. Instead ask what you enjoy, what challenges you and what you seem to be good at. That will be a better criteria in this case.

From your experience (interest at 14, physics interest, coop/intern) I'd say you probably already can handle the CompE side with your eyes closed. You may need more of a challenge anyway.

Also consider that it's always easier to go from something more challenging (like HW and especially analog on the EE side) to something less challenging (like SW, digital and programming, on the CompE side), than vice versa, so if you must take job security into account, EE is probably a tad better because of that.

Also having two fields often gives you better job security because you can bridge technology areas that other single focus folks can not. There's a lot of power to that. Doing the double major, as you say, is all good. Another example of this kind of bridging is EE + ME or ME + CompE + EE degrees for robotics - think about how that could work out.

Your pals may contest all this but I have 30 years as an analog guy who easily does digital and software that says I'm right. I started doing computers, programming, ham radio and electronics only a few years earlier that you. I think I know where you're coming from.

Also things like cell phones are, and will continue to be, so-called "mixed-signal" systems which are analog and digital in the same circuit. Only people who know both work on stuff like that.

Related to Electrical or Computer Engineering for major?

1. What is Electrical or Computer Engineering?

Electrical or Computer Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical and computer systems, such as computers, communication systems, power systems, and more.

2. What are the key skills required for a major in Electrical or Computer Engineering?

The key skills required for a major in Electrical or Computer Engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, strong mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills.

3. What are the career opportunities in Electrical or Computer Engineering?

There are various career opportunities in Electrical or Computer Engineering, such as becoming an electrical engineer, computer engineer, software engineer, network engineer, control systems engineer, or a telecommunications engineer. Other possible career paths include working in research and development, consulting, or academia.

4. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering?

Electrical Engineering primarily deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, whereas Computer Engineering focuses on the design and development of computer systems and their hardware and software components. However, there is overlap between the two fields, and many universities offer a combined Electrical and Computer Engineering major.

5. What is the coursework like for an Electrical or Computer Engineering major?

The coursework for an Electrical or Computer Engineering major typically includes a mix of theoretical and practical courses in mathematics, physics, computer science, electronics, and circuit design. Students will also have hands-on experience with various tools and software used in the field, as well as opportunities for internships and research projects.