Electrical Measurment of Oxide

In summary, when making electrical measurements of Oxide, the choice of metal for an ohmic contact as an electrode depends on the sample parameters, the desired measurements, and the environment in which the experiment is conducted. The metal should have low resistance and be within budget. Gold is a commonly used option, but other crystals with known properties may also be suitable. Companies that prepare such samples can provide information on available contact options.
neuro11
How can i make electrical measurment of Oxide. I know i have make an ohmic contact to use that as an electrode. But how do i decide the metal for this contact. I want to use Ga2O3

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the sample parameters and the measurements you want to make and how you are making them.
Usually you want to be sure that almost all the applied voltage is dropped across your sample, so the metal has to have very low resistance in the temperature ranges you are using. It should also withstand the environment the experiment is conducted in and be available to you within your budget ... gold is commonly used for the metal, you may also have another kind of crystal whose properties are well known between your sample and the electrode.

Companies who prepare such samples usually will tell you what sort of contacts are available.

Related to Electrical Measurment of Oxide

1. What is electrical measurement of oxide?

Electrical measurement of oxide is a technique used to measure the properties and behavior of oxide layers, which are thin films of oxides that form on the surface of a material. This is an important process in materials science and engineering as oxides can greatly impact the performance and durability of various materials.

2. How is electrical measurement of oxide performed?

The process of electrical measurement of oxide involves applying an electric field to the oxide layer and measuring the resulting electrical response. This can be done using various techniques such as impedance spectroscopy, capacitance-voltage measurements, and time-dependent dielectric breakdown measurements.

3. What can be learned from electrical measurement of oxide?

Electrical measurement of oxide can provide information about the thickness, composition, and electrical properties of the oxide layer. It can also reveal the presence of defects or impurities within the oxide layer, which can affect its performance and stability.

4. What types of materials can be studied with electrical measurement of oxide?

Electrical measurement of oxide can be applied to a wide range of materials, including semiconductors, metals, ceramics, and polymers. It is particularly useful for studying materials used in electronic devices, such as silicon for computer chips and aluminum for thin film transistors.

5. What are the practical applications of electrical measurement of oxide?

Electrical measurement of oxide has many practical applications, including quality control in manufacturing processes, characterization of new materials, and evaluation of the stability and reliability of electronic devices. It is also used in research to better understand the properties and behavior of oxide layers, which can lead to improved materials and devices.