Electrical forces and energy: Electric Potential help

In summary: This point is located at x = 0.5 m and has a y-value of -2.00 m.17. For this problem, we need to calculate the potential difference (ΔV) between the three points given. We can use the equation ΔV = -EΔx, where E is the electric field and Δx is the distance between the two points. So, for the first part (125 > 100), we have:ΔV = -E(125-100)For the second part (100 > 50), we have:ΔV = -E(100-50)And for the third
Neutrinogun

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a couple different problems that I did not understand.
I have the images here.
The problems which I did not understand were: 12, 13, 17. [EDIT: I calculated answer to 12 using conservation of energy.]
For 13, I know how the graph looks; however, I'm not sure how to calculate the two zeros as well as the local minimum on the left.

tDUPtKT.jpg

ImpBgrD.png

Homework Equations

WKXhHDD.png

The Attempt at a Solution

12. No idea whatsoever. I tried using the electrostatic forces equation, however there is no specific "r" value between where the Q2 and the other Q's are, so you can't do that. I think it might have something to do with momentum, but I'm not sure how to apply that.

EDIT: Uo + Ko = Uf + Kf. Using this, I got the right answer Vo = 6.19 m/s.

13. I already have the graph which looks like this:

XUOgaCj.png

The black spots are the values I need to find. I tried using the field graph to find the values, but it failed. I also tried using kq/r = kq/r to find the zeros, but I didn't get the right answers again.

17. This one I know how to do, I'm just confused on what to plug in.

The ΔV = -EΔx, so then you do Delta V (125 > 100) + Delta V (100 > 50) + Delta V (50>25) and that should be the answer. However I'm not sure what to plug in for the "q" in each case.

CORRECT ANSWERS
12. 6.19 m/s
13. The values of the two zeros are -5.46 m and 1.0 m. The y-value of the local min is -2.00 m.
17. 3.42 * 10^4 V

I'd appreciate it for any help. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, let me see if I can help you with these problems.

12. For this problem, you are correct in using conservation of energy. The initial energy (Uo + Ko) is equal to the final energy (Uf + Kf). So, we can write the equation as Uo + Ko = Uf + Kf.

For the initial energy, we have the potential energy between Q1 and Q2, which is kQ1Q2/r. For the final energy, we have the kinetic energy, which is 1/2mv^2. So, the equation becomes kQ1Q2/r = 1/2mv^2.

Now, we can plug in the values given in the problem. We know that Q1 = 2q, Q2 = 4q, and r = 2m. We also know that the mass is 0.5 kg. So, we have:

k(2q)(4q)/2m = 1/2(0.5)(v^2)

Simplifying, we get:

8kq^2/m = 0.25v^2

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(8kq^2/m)

Plugging in the values for k, q, and m, we get v = 6.19 m/s.

13. For this problem, we need to find the zeros and the local minimum of the graph. To find the zeros, we need to set the y-value (or potential energy) equal to zero, since the graph crosses the x-axis at these points. So, we have:

kQ1Q2/r = 0

Solving for r, we get:

r = kQ1Q2/0

Since we cannot divide by zero, this means that the zeros are located at infinity. However, we can still find the values for the zeros using the given values in the problem. We know that Q1 = 4q and Q2 = 2q, so we have:

r = k(4q)(2q)/0

Simplifying, we get:

r = ∞

This means that the zeros are located at infinity, which is not a practical answer. So, we can use the given values to find the approximate values for the zeros. We can also use the graph to estimate the values. For the local

Related to Electrical forces and energy: Electric Potential help

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of energy that an electric charge has at a certain point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential related to electric force?

Electric potential is related to electric force through the equation V = W/Q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done by the force, and Q is the electric charge.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V) in the SI system of units.

4. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total amount of energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field.

5. How can I calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the electric charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point at which the potential is being calculated.