Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the speaker recently obtained their Journeyman ticket as a heavy duty mechanic and saved enough money to go back to school. They are torn between pursuing a bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. They have experience in Fluid Power and Thermodynamics which would be beneficial for Mechanical Engineering, but they are also interested in computer programming and have a talent for math and physics. They are seeking advice and suggestions on which engineering field would be a better fit for them. The speaker also mentions the possibility of exploring the field of mechatronics, which combines both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
Mastermosley
Hi everyone, I just got my Journeyman ticket as a heavy duty mechanic and finally amassed enough money to go back to school. I want to get a bachelors degree in either Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. The choice is haunting me I don't no what to do. I think I would be happy in either fields. Being a Heavy Duty Mechanic I have the fundamentals of Fluid Power, and Thermodynamics, and a lot of practical experience, which would definitely help with Mechanical Engineering. Although since I got my first computer I have been hooked on them. I have read as many books as I can about the designs of computers and computer components, and got into computer programming C/C++ and C#, and a little bit of x86 assembly.

Most of the schools I look at don't offer Dual Degrees in engineering (From Canada), not that I would really want to because I wouldn't be able to take many specialization electives, and the workload would be way over my head. I don't consider myself being a genius, and I actually had terrible grades in school, mostly because I never tried, and the kids I hung out with. I have always been good at math and physics. When it comes to electronics and mechanics I have always been an exceptionally well learner.

BREAKDOWN:
I am not worried about money, if I was I would continue on as a heavy duty mechanic, so that is not an issue. I would be happy doing either as a profession. I want to explore a less charted area if you catch my drift, which area would have a bigger possibility of uncovering something that would make a difference? (Sorry if that doesn't make sense).

Any comments, suggestions, and other information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I talked to a guy that works as an electrical engineer whereas as I myself am more interested in the mechanical side of things. He flat out said that he was not at all interested in things that are mechanical but he loves his job. So my first thought for you would be, which do you like better?

The mechanical sciences or electrical engineering?

Your skills with computers (and interests) will be very helpful for you, and I know that as a mechanical engineer you may end up designing systems on computers so maybe that will be your knack. But if you find that when you take some classes on circuit analysis and design then that will be your calling!

Anyways, my answer is: if you like the mechanical things then do mechanical engineering because you obviously will do well because you have already applied some knowledge in those areas. And you will, no matter what, get to work with computers as an EE or an ME. Whadya think?

Oh and another thing that may interest you: mechatronics (totally forgot about it for some reason...) applying both EE and ME! Maybe you would love that, you should check it out on google or something.

Related to Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while Mechanical Engineering deals with the study and application of mechanics, energy, and motion. In simpler terms, Electrical Engineering focuses on the generation, transmission, and utilization of electrical energy, while Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design, construction, and operation of machines and systems.

2. What are the career opportunities for an Electrical Engineer and a Mechanical Engineer?

Both Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and manufacturing. Electrical Engineers can work as power system engineers, control systems engineers, or electronics engineers, while Mechanical Engineers can work as design engineers, manufacturing engineers, or project managers.

3. Is it better to major in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

Choosing between Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities, and it is important to choose the one that aligns with your strengths and passions.

4. What skills are necessary to succeed in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

To succeed in Electrical Engineering, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work in a team. In Mechanical Engineering, skills in mathematics, physics, and materials science are essential, along with creativity and attention to detail.

5. What are the current advancements and trends in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Both Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering are constantly evolving fields, with advancements in technology and innovation. Some current trends in Electrical Engineering include renewable energy, smart grids, and Internet of Things (IoT). In Mechanical Engineering, trends include additive manufacturing, autonomous vehicles, and sustainable design. It is important for engineers to stay updated with these advancements to remain competitive in the job market.