Electrical Engineering After Physics Background

In summary: It should not be too difficult, as you will be taking some physics classes in addition to EE classes.
YAHA
I attend a small LAC. After having taking an electronics course this past semester, I am fascinated by it. While I am still interested in Physics, I would like to skew more towards EE while in grad school (maybe, Quantum Devices, Solid State, etc). Am I in good position to apply to such things with a Math/Physics double major? Or is it preferrable to have an engineering background? Also, it seems(after a brief research) that engineering programs do not require any subject GRE's? How do they quantify the applicants from smaller schools then?

Any advice on the matter is welcome.

P.S. I am not really asking whether I should do it. If I want something I will do it. Could someone just shed some light on the prospects I am facing. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually know a couple EE grad students who did their bachelor's degrees in Physics. It's certainly doable, but I imagine your chances of getting in are going to depend quite a bit on what area of EE you try to go into. Some parts of EE overlap with physics quite a bit, and others don't overlap much at all.

Also note that, at least in Canada, doing a physics major with a masters/PhD in engineering does not allow you to be a professional engineer. You need a bachelor's degree in engineering for that. I don't know how much that actually hurts your job prospects, but it may be something to think about.

YAHA said:
I attend a small LAC. After having taking an electronics course this past semester, I am fascinated by it. While I am still interested in Physics, I would like to skew more towards EE while in grad school (maybe, Quantum Devices, Solid State, etc). Am I in good position to apply to such things with a Math/Physics double major? Or is it preferrable to have an engineering background? Also, it seems(after a brief research) that engineering programs do not require any subject GRE's? How do they quantify the applicants from smaller schools then?

A physics/math double major would be great. I am an EE and know quite a few folks that started in physics or math undergrad and went to EE in grad school. Get good grades and recommendations and general GRE and you will be fine for admissions. You will only have a couple of courses that you are really "missing" from undergrad - in my opinion a course on signals and systems is the big missing link from the standard physics/math major, although for quantum or solid state specializations it is much less important than for some other specializations. Also, make sure you take a probability theory course. Your background will be excellent for the types of specializations you are interested in.

The engineering subject GRE is kind of silly - it tries to cover all branches of engineering simultaneously, so it is practically useless and grad schools know this. Also, I know many EEs, and only know one that is a professional engineer (PE). FOr most jobs it just isn't required. No one I work with is a PE.

best of luck,

jason

Very well :smile: I still have a few months to decide for what I would like to apply. I am seriously considering these areas.

By the way, how easy is it to switch in and out of fundamental type problems while working on some electrical engineering issues pertaining to quantum and condensed matter?

As a scientist with a background in electrical engineering, I would say that you are in a great position to pursue graduate studies in EE. Having a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is highly beneficial in the field of EE, as many concepts and principles in EE are rooted in these subjects. In fact, many engineering programs value applicants with a strong background in math and physics because it shows that you have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles that are essential in engineering.

While having an engineering degree may be preferred by some programs, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs in EE accept students with diverse backgrounds, including those with degrees in math and physics. What is important is that you have a strong understanding of the core concepts in EE and can demonstrate your interest and aptitude in the field.

Regarding the subject GREs, it is true that many engineering programs do not require them. However, this does not necessarily put you at a disadvantage. Admissions committees will consider your overall academic record, your letters of recommendation, and your personal statement to evaluate your potential as a graduate student. Additionally, they may also consider any relevant research or work experience you have in the field of EE.

My advice would be to focus on building a strong academic record and gaining relevant experience in the field of EE. This could include taking more courses in EE, doing research projects, or completing internships in related industries. These experiences will not only make you a more competitive applicant, but they will also help you determine if EE is truly the right field for you.

In conclusion, your double major in math and physics puts you in a great position to pursue graduate studies in EE. While an engineering background may be preferred by some programs, it is not always necessary. Focus on building a strong academic record and gaining relevant experience, and you will have a good chance of being accepted into a graduate program in EE. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Electrical Engineering After Physics Background

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, equipment, and devices.

2. How is electrical engineering related to physics?

Electrical engineering is closely related to physics as it is based on fundamental laws and principles of physics, such as Ohm's law and Maxwell's equations. A strong background in physics is essential for understanding and applying these concepts in electrical engineering.

3. Can someone with a physics background pursue a career in electrical engineering?

Yes, someone with a physics background can pursue a career in electrical engineering. Many concepts and principles in physics are applicable in electrical engineering, making it a natural transition for those with a physics background.

4. What skills are needed for a career in electrical engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in electrical engineering include strong mathematical and analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer programming. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also beneficial in this field.

5. What are some common job roles in electrical engineering?

Some common job roles in electrical engineering include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, power engineer, telecommunications engineer, and control systems engineer. These roles may vary depending on the specific industry or field of work.