Electrical components connected between cells

In summary, when two identical cells are each connected to a light bulb in series, the current in the circuit is 20A. However, when a second identical light bulb is connected between the cells, the current and voltage in the circuit changes.
sorax123
Hi all,
I would appreciate a little guidance on some circuit theory. I was wondering how a circuit behaves when there are, say two identical 10V cells, and a 1Ω bulb happily sitting in series, but then one connects another identical bulb between the two cells. Obviously the current in the first circuit would be 20A, with the pd across the bulb being 20V. But how would the current and pd values change when the second bulb is connected? I have pondered this for a while, but am unsure what to consider in parallel and hence the currents and pd of each bulb. Would be great for someone to give me a little insight.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sorax123. A sketch of what you have in mind would have left readers in no doubt about what you are pondering. It sounds as though the pair of identical bulbs are in parallel? If so, then each sees the 20V across its terminals, so each draws 20A. The batteries, I am assuming, can be considered ideal.)

EDITED

Last edited:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3228/19k.png

This should give an idea.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
sorax123 said:
This should give an idea.
Thanks

Umm, the two identical cells are no longer identical? And the two bulbs have now become three? :eek:

sorax123 said:
Hi all,
I would appreciate a little guidance on some circuit theory. I was wondering how a circuit behaves when there are, say two identical 10V cells, and a 1Ω bulb happily sitting in series, but then one connects another identical bulb between the two cells. Obviously the current in the first circuit would be 20A, with the pd across the bulb being 20V. But how would the current and pd values change when the second bulb is connected? I have pondered this for a while, but am unsure what to consider in parallel and hence the currents and pd of each bulb. Would be great for someone to give me a little insight.
Thanks

Between the cells? So the bulb is connected in series with the cells? If so, then the entire circuit is a series circuit. The resistance in the circuit is 2 ohms, applied voltage is 20 volts, so the current is 10 amps. Each bulb has 10 volts of voltage drop across it, adding up to the required 20 volts of applied voltage.

As soon as you get more than tho or three components in a circuit, you really have to use tools like Kirchoff's Laws to find what is going to happen. Just chatting about the problem is unlikely to get anywhere - it's a bit like dealing with money - the Maths will give you an answer. 'Understanding' will only come from familiarity with the Maths and the results it produces.

Thanks for replies. The cells in the picture were meant to be 10V each, but having done some more thinking and problems today i think I've gotten to the bottom of it. Using Kirchoff's laws one can treat it as 2 series circuits and then "sum" them in a sense. I think this would be the easiest way to tackle it. Thanks

Related to Electrical components connected between cells

1. What are electrical components connected between cells?

Electrical components connected between cells are devices or materials that allow for the flow of electrical signals between adjacent cells. These components can include gap junctions, connexons, and synapses.

2. How do electrical components between cells work?

Electrical components between cells work by creating a low-resistance pathway for the flow of ions and small molecules between adjacent cells. This allows for the transfer of electrical signals, such as action potentials, from one cell to another.

3. What is the importance of electrical components between cells?

Electrical components between cells are essential for proper communication and coordination between cells in the body. They play a critical role in processes such as muscle contractions, nerve impulses, and hormone regulation.

4. Can damage to electrical components between cells lead to health problems?

Yes, damage to electrical components between cells can lead to health problems. For example, mutations in genes that code for gap junction proteins have been linked to diseases such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and cardiac arrhythmias.

5. Are there different types of electrical components connected between cells?

Yes, there are different types of electrical components connected between cells. These can include gap junctions, which allow for direct electrical and chemical communication between cells, and synapses, which allow for more specific and regulated communication between neurons.