Electrical Circuit Exercise, .

In summary, the total capacitance of the system of capacitors between the two diagonally opposite corners of the square is C. This is calculated by considering the two capacitances in series from A to B and from B to A, which are each equal to C/2. Then, when these two are in parallel, the total capacitance is equal to C/2 + C/2, which simplifies to C.
claudiadeluca
Hi, I need help with the following exercise:

Homework Statement

We have a square circuit, with 4 capacitors, 1 on each side of the square, all with the same capacitance C. Calculate the total capacitance of the system of capacitors between the two diagonally opposite corners of the square, A and B.

This is how I solved it, could you tell me if it's right?

A ) 2 capacitors (from A to B ): they are in series
B ) 2 capacitors (from B to A): they are in series

A )1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2= 2/C --> A-Ceq=C/2
B )1/Ceq = 1/C3 + 1/C4= 2/C --> B-Ceq=C/2

Now A-Ceq and B-Ceq are in a parallel configuration:

C) Ceq = C/2 + C/2 = C

The total capacitance is equal to C?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

Your solution looks correct. The total capacitance of the system is indeed equal to C, as you have shown by combining the series and parallel configurations of the capacitors. Good job!

Related to Electrical Circuit Exercise, .

What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from a power source to a load, such as a light bulb or motor. It typically consists of a power source, conductors, and a load connected in a closed loop.

What is the purpose of an electrical circuit exercise?

The purpose of an electrical circuit exercise is to practice and demonstrate the principles of electricity and circuits. It allows individuals to understand how electricity flows and how different components work together to create a functioning circuit.

What are the essential components of an electrical circuit?

The essential components of an electrical circuit include a power source, conductors, and a load. Other components, such as switches, resistors, and capacitors, may also be included depending on the specific circuit and its purpose.

How do you calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit?

Voltage (V) is calculated by dividing the amount of energy (in joules) by the amount of charge (in coulombs). Current (I) is calculated by dividing the amount of charge (in coulombs) by the amount of time (in seconds). Resistance (R) is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I).

What are the safety precautions to consider when working with electrical circuits?

Some safety precautions to consider when working with electrical circuits include wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring the power source is turned off before making any adjustments, and using insulated tools. It is also important to follow proper wiring and circuit diagrams and to avoid overloading circuits with too much current.