Electrical Circuit Drawing Software

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a software that can draw 3-phase circuits with different cabling configurations for an MSc dissertation. The desired software should have pre-installed star-delta connections and main components. Suggestions were made for using Microsoft Visio, Electronics Workbench, or LTSpice for drawing and simulating the circuits.
GnMvP
Hello,
I am writing my MSc dissertation, and I want to draw some 3-phase circuits with different cabling configurations (6-wire, 4-wire etc). I need an easy software that can draw the schematics nicely, like the ones found in books. I do not need interactive software (like NI circuit design), just a drawing software. I need it to have pre-installed star-delta connections and of course the main components.

I would really appreciate your input !

Regards,

Nik.

Engineering news on Phys.org
GnMvP said:
Hello,
I am writing my MSc dissertation, and I want to draw some 3-phase circuits with different cabling configurations (6-wire, 4-wire etc). I need an easy software that can draw the schematics nicely, like the ones found in books. I do not need interactive software (like NI circuit design), just a drawing software. I need it to have pre-installed star-delta connections and of course the main components.

I would really appreciate your input !

Regards,

Nik.

Can you just use Microsoft Visio? I think it has libraries of things like your electrical circuit blocks...

berkeman said:
Can you just use Microsoft Visio? I think it has libraries of things like your electrical circuit blocks...

Hello berkeman,
I did try Visio, and I may be getting something wrong, but how can you make star connection with inductors and or loads on the star ?
Am I asking for too much? I don't know... I just assume that there should be an easier way.

Regards,

Nik.

Edit: Something like that say : http://www.linengineering.com/LinE/_images/Diagram_BLDC17.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Although hard to find, I tend to use the precursor to Multi sim; Electronics Workbench (used it in High school. Its hard to find (legitimately)).

There is an online circuit designer 'circuit-lab', although I'm not sure about star-delta configurations on it

Hope this info helps

GnMvP said:
Hello berkeman,
I did try Visio, and I may be getting something wrong, but how can you make star connection with inductors and or loads on the star ?
Am I asking for too much? I don't know... I just assume that there should be an easier way.

Regards,

Nik.

Edit: Something like that say : http://www.linengineering.com/LinE/_images/Diagram_BLDC17.gif

I've made drawings very similar to that in Visio. Sometimes you need to make your own "components", and that is not necessarily obvious to do. I also have had to avoid making "connections" sometimes because visio's drawing rules put wires where I don't want them. Instead of treating it like a connection/schematic tool, I just treat it like a drawing tool and I get much better results. There could be a better way that I don't know though.

You can do a lot in Visio:
http://www.visguy.com/archive-index/visio-art/

cybhunter said:
Although hard to find, I tend to use the precursor to Multi sim; Electronics Workbench (used it in High school. Its hard to find (legitimately)).

There is an online circuit designer 'circuit-lab', although I'm not sure about star-delta configurations on it

Hope this info helps

Hello cybhunter,

Thanks for your reply, I did check the circuit lab (https://www.circuitlab.com/editor/), although I am looking at drawing more power electronics rather than electronics, and this editor seems to be mainly for "normal" electronics (I say mainly as I saw transformer symbols). :p

I am currently downloading the Electronics Workbench that you suggested, but I have the feeling that it is more of a simulation rather than a drawing software.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Nik.

DragonPetter said:
I've made drawings very similar to that in Visio. Sometimes you need to make your own "components", and that is not necessarily obvious to do. I also have had to avoid making "connections" sometimes because visio's drawing rules put wires where I don't want them. Instead of treating it like a connection/schematic tool, I just treat it like a drawing tool and I get much better results. There could be a better way that I don't know though.

You can do a lot in Visio:
http://www.visguy.com/archive-index/visio-art/

Hello Dragon Petter,

Thanks for your reply !
I will give it a try creating my own. I bet it is going to be a hassle, but if there is no easier way, I will go with it...

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nik.

GnMvP said:
Hello Dragon Petter,

Thanks for your reply !
I will give it a try creating my own. I bet it is going to be a hassle, but if there is no easier way, I will go with it...

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nik.

Yes it was a hassle for me as well. Here are some of the drawings I made in visio . . they look very close to the example you're going for.

Attachments

• visiodrawings.jpg
    visiodrawings.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 693
DragonPetter said:
Visio is an unbelievable pain in the *** sometimes. I've used it in the past and still do occasionally because it looks good in the end, but I don't have the heart to recommend it to anyone. I have nightmares about the connector tool in Visio. Is it some kind of evil joke?

You can try downloading one of the free simulators like LTSpice from Linear Technology. Easy to draw schematics.

A.o.a
its my first post...!
Can anyone help me in suggesting the best software in "sumilation of circuits.."

I don't have any software yet ...please inform me how to download free and from which websites >>>

Related to Electrical Circuit Drawing Software

1. What is Electrical Circuit Drawing Software?

Electrical Circuit Drawing Software is a computer program designed specifically for creating and editing electrical circuit diagrams. It allows users to easily draw, label, and manipulate circuit components and connections, as well as simulate and analyze the behavior of the circuit.

2. Why is Electrical Circuit Drawing Software important?

Electrical Circuit Drawing Software is important because it provides a more efficient and accurate way to design and document electrical circuits. It eliminates the need for hand-drawn diagrams, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors. It also allows for easier collaboration and sharing of circuit designs.

3. What are the key features of Electrical Circuit Drawing Software?

The key features of Electrical Circuit Drawing Software include a wide range of pre-made circuit symbols and components, the ability to add labels and annotations, automatic wire connections, simulation tools, and the ability to export the diagram into various formats for printing or sharing.

4. Is Electrical Circuit Drawing Software user-friendly?

Yes, most Electrical Circuit Drawing Software programs are designed with user-friendliness in mind. They often have intuitive drag-and-drop interfaces and provide helpful tutorials and guides for new users. Some software even offers advanced features for experienced users.

5. Are there any free Electrical Circuit Drawing Software options available?

Yes, there are several free options for Electrical Circuit Drawing Software, such as QElectroTech, TinyCAD, and Fritzing. However, these programs may have limited features or may not be as user-friendly as paid software. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs.