Electrical charge on Capacitor

In summary, the equation q(t)= integral i(t) dt between t=0 and t is used to find the electrical charge on a capacitor after a certain amount of time has passed. In the given scenario, with a dc current of 3 A and an initially discharged capacitor, after 2 microseconds, the electrical charge on the capacitor is (3t^2)/2=6x10^-12 C. However, the integral was set up incorrectly at first, using a constant function instead of the current function.
patep023

Homework Statement

A dc current of 3 A flows through an initially discharged capacitor.
After 2 micro s what is the electrical charge on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

q(t)= integral i(t) dt between t=0 and t

The Attempt at a Solution

(3t^2)/2=6x10^-12 C. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
patep023 said:

Homework Statement

A dc current of 3 A flows through an initially discharged capacitor.
After 2 micro s what is the electrical charge on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

q(t)= integral i(t) dt between t=0 and t

The Attempt at a Solution

(3t^2)/2=6x10^-12 C. Is this right?

Your relevant equation is okay, but it looks like you set up the integral incorrectly. What function did you integrate?

f(q)=i ?so integral of 3A which is (3t^2)/2 ?

patep023 said:
f(q)=i ?so integral of 3A which is (3t^2)/2 ?

Nope. Your function is a constant. Dropping units for now, I(t) = 3. There's no "t" in the function to become a ##t^2## upon integrating.

ye I was just being stupid, ty for the help

Related to Electrical charge on Capacitor

1. What is an electrical charge on a capacitor?

An electrical charge on a capacitor is the accumulation of electrons on one of its plates, creating a potential difference between the plates. This charge is typically stored in the form of an electric field.

2. How is the electrical charge on a capacitor calculated?

The electrical charge on a capacitor is calculated by multiplying the capacitance of the capacitor by the voltage across it. This can be represented by the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

3. How does the electrical charge on a capacitor affect its capacitance?

The electrical charge on a capacitor directly affects its capacitance. As the charge increases, the capacitance also increases, and vice versa. This is because the charge is directly proportional to the electric field strength between the plates, which is a key factor in determining the capacitance of a capacitor.

4. Can the electrical charge on a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the electrical charge on a capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the capacitor is connected in a circuit with a source of alternating current, causing the charge to alternate between positive and negative values. However, the overall charge on the capacitor will still be positive, as the negative charge is balanced out by an equal amount of positive charge.

5. How does the electrical charge on a capacitor affect its energy storage capacity?

The electrical charge on a capacitor directly affects its energy storage capacity. As the charge increases, the energy stored in the capacitor also increases, and vice versa. This is because the charge is directly proportional to the potential energy stored in the electric field between the plates, which is a key factor in determining the energy storage capacity of a capacitor.